REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS: Reports to the CEO Kriss Deiglmeier
Tides is a foundation and social enterprise partner committed to building a world of shared prosperity and social justice. Founded in 1976, Tides accelerates the pace of social change, working with innovative partners to solve society’s toughest problems: equality and human rights; sustainable environment; healthy individuals and communities; and quality education.Our services include charitable giving and grant-‐making (through donor-‐advised funds and other charitable vehicles), fiscal sponsorship and backbone services for social ventures, and collaborative workspaces in San Francisco and New York City. We also provide social impact consulting, impact investing, and policy support to individuals and institutions driving social change.
The COO reports directly to the CEO and will work closely with her to ensure that Tides can continue to achieve its aggressive impact goals. As part of the leadership team the COO will participate at the Board meetings and will be instrumental in staffing the External Relations Committee of the Board.
He/She will be responsible for bringing an innovative and customer focused approach to Client services, Human Resources, Communications as well as Real Estate that permeates throughout the organization and expands services, grows the client base and ultimately scales Tides ability to create social change.
Key Leadership responsibilities include:
· Working in partnership with the CEO to champion Tides mission and ensure ongoing innovation and adaptation across the portfolio that establishes Tides leadership position as a social change network for impact.· Leading organizational redesign that propels Tides to a new model as a social impact professional services enterprise in all aspects of organizational architecture and operations.
· Driving growth that differentiates Tides from its competitors by working closely with other members of the leadership team to ensure the strategic direction set by the Board and CEO is put into a planning document that will be implemented across the organization.
· Stimulating new thinking and driving the ongoing evolution of organizational change management and culture of innovation throughout the organization.
· Determining and implementing a cross-functional strategy to balance, align and augment internal processes, policies, organizational design and systems that enhance client outcomes across the organization.
· Building excellent working relationships at all levels of the organization while coordinating development and project implementation plans of new and existing programs, products and services.
· Participating actively as a member of the Senior Leadership Team in making decisions that affect the overall strategic direction of the organization and identifies and leverages synergies between all departments.
· Leading cross-sector and community collaboration and partnerships across Tides Network aligned with the changing eco-system to deliver on the new vision, mission and approach.
· Overseeing the annual planning and multi-‐year budgeting process for client departments and providing guidance to staff during the operating budget planning process by establishing guidelines and allocating resources according to the short and long-term objectives of the organization.
· Ensuring all financial targets are met annually across all client operations departments while monitoring and managing expenses to deliver on projected net income.
· Hiring, managing, motivating and building an experienced and talented staff and providing opportunities for them to develop and grow in the organization.
· Building implementing and driving all phases of Tides client operations business model focusing on growing the client base and delivering value added services.
· Develop and utilize data and business modeling, benchmarking and new assessment tools to maximize organizational effectiveness.
The ideal candidate will have a leadership track record of over Fifteen years within rapidly growing mission driven organizations that build and encourage an innovative and high-performing team culture. Experience in successfully leading an organization through significant change and reinvention is essential.
He/She will also have a sophisticated grasp of strategy along with track record in building and managing an organization that has created and sustained the following:
· Proactive and client focused program/product development.
· Responsive and effective technology with organizational learning and knowledge management systems.· Financial benchmarks and timely reporting.
In addition, the COO needs to have excellent communication skills, strong organizational acumen, and executive management experience leading the day‐to‐day operations.
Additional qualifications include:
· Ability to provide strong entrepreneurial and innovative leadership in growing an organization while sustaining its current momentum.
· Broad knowledge of the key operational functions, which includes client/customer services, human resources, communication and real estate.
· Track record in promoting and building an ethnically and culturally diverse workforce.
· Experience in change management and the evolution of organizational culture.
· Demonstrated ability to engage others in addressing and resolving complex issues efficiently and effectively.
· Superior analytical skills to successfully manage projects and resources.
· Exceptional relationships with a deep network of social change leaders.
· Deep understanding of the philanthropic sector and experience crossing sector boundaries to drive impact.
The COO should embody the following personal characteristics:
· Excellent communicator with people at every level, a leader and bridge builder.
· Passion for the mission and goals of the organization.
· Strong interpersonal skills with a customer service orientation.
· Is both proactive and operational; can initiate new ideas/relationships while keeping our fast moving train on the tracks.
· Ability to work well under pressure and adapt easily to changing situations and priorities. Good judgment and consensus building skills.
· Both a driver and a doer.
· Values diversity.
· Sense of humor
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree is required. An MBA is highly desirable.
COMPENSATION: An attractive compensation and benefit package will beprovided to the successful candidate.
Please email resumes to:
Azzani Search Consultants