At the Jewish Community Federation and Endowment Fund (the Federation), we envision diverse, dynamic Bay Area Jewish communities, deeply engaged in Jewish life and doing good locally, in Israel, and around the world. We create opportunities for people in the Bay Area to connect with and contribute to their communities. Our work is guided by the timeless Jewish values of kehilla (community), tzedakah (giving with just intention), tzedek (pursuing justice), and tikkun olam (repairing the world).
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION
- Manage the accounts payable workflow, ensuring that all expenses, invoices, check requests, and payments are processed in a timely and accurate manner in according with the Federation’s policies and procedures.
- Process AP weekly invoices, recurring vouchers, and check/wire requests as well as grants in a timely and accurate manner and prepare checks for signature. Set up and apply payments for wires.
- Prepare batch reports for all accounts payable transactions and review for errors prior to submitting to supervisor for AP and GL posting of weekly check runs.
- Upload check registers to Positive Pay and update cash books for all A/P transactions.
- Correspond with vendors regarding account issues, research unpaid invoices, outstanding or stale dated checks including follow-up with vendors in a timely and professional manner. Investigate and resolve any invoice discrepancies and issues. Place stop payments, void/reissue checks.
- Process American Express commercial credit card transactions and employee expense reimbursements through Concur and verify transactions with supporting receipts, documentation. Ensure all transactions are in accordance with company policies and budget guidelines.
- Reconcile aging payables to general ledger. Responsible for accounts payable records in accounting system.
- Maintain vendor files, such as Form W-9, independent contractor approval forms, agreements, and contracts.
- Process annual Form 1099s, including mailing, filing and corrections as required by the IRS.
- Prepare journal entries for AP adjustments, reconcile various accounts.
- Ensure all tasks are in accordance with company policy and have proper documentation.
- Maintain and update AP accounting procedures.
- Participate in the implementation and improvement of workflows which facilitate efficient operation and financial management of the organization.
- Additional duties assigned as required, including assistance with audits and tax filings.
EDUCATION OR TRAINING EQUIVALENT
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, accounting, finance, or related field preferred.
- Minimum of three (3) years of accounts payable and related professional experience as accounting/bookkeeper.
- Non-profit and fund accounting experience preferred.
QUALIFICATIONS (SKILLS, ABILITIES, LICENSES)
- Strong transactional accounting background, be detailed and deadline-oriented, organized, and able to operate in a multi-faceted, fast-paced collaborative environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to interact with all levels including, but not limited to employees, vendors, senior management.
- Ability to set priorities, manage multiple tasks simultaneously and adapt efficiently to changes.
- Self-motivated, dependable, flexible, and professional demeanor.
- Demonstrate understanding of General Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and general knowledge of accounting practices and procedures.
- Experience in fund accounting software, FIMS a plus.
- Proficient data entry and facility with Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel, Outlook, Teams, OneDrive, and SharePoint.
Salary range: $58,000 – $68,000/annually, however this is an hourly, non-exempt role.
Benefits include medical, dental, vision, vacation, sick pay, holidays (including Jewish), and retirement plan.
Please send a copy of your resume with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. All applications and inquiries will receive a response and will be kept strictly confidential.
The Federation requires COVID-19 vaccination for new hires and is planning a hybrid work model of currently working one day a week in our office. Read Our Commitment to Diversity to learn more.