Humanity United (HU) is a foundation dedicated to cultivating the conditions for enduring freedom and peace. We support and build efforts to transform the systems that contribute to human exploitation and violent conflict. HU is part of The Omidyar Group, a diverse collection of organizations, each guided by its own approach, but united by a common desire to catalyze social impact. To learn more, visit www.humanityunited.org
Humanity United is seeking a Managing Director, Operations at a pivotal moment in the organization’s growth and maturity as a private foundation. The successful candidate will ensure that the organization has the internal leadership, infrastructure, and culture in place to achieve its goals to cultivate the conditions for enduring freedom and peace. A key strategic partner to the Managing Partner, the Managing Director, Operations will be responsible for all internal operational and people functions for Humanity United and its sister organizations, 501(c)(4) (Humanity United Action (HUA)) and 501(c)(3) public charity (Humanity United Charitable Fund (HUCF)).
The Managing Director, Operations will co-create a vision of success for running the organization to inspire staff and create holistic, adaptive systems to support the organization’s mission and values. They will be a partner, coach, and manager to leaders directing the organization’s internal operating systems, including finance, people, facilities, IT, legal, and grants management. At the same time, they will help to guide HU’s organizational values and culture and work with HU staff and senior leaders as a partner in championing the organization’s commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and justice.
The ideal candidate is a world-class leader with a talent for inspiring, developing, and empowering teams. Furthermore, they have genuine passion for HU’s mission and will bring vision and practical wisdom to all facets of the organization. As a deeply experienced, people-loving problem solver, this leader will possess a high tolerance for ambiguity and a proven track record of balancing creativity with rigor.
Based in either Washington DC or San Francisco, this role will report to the Managing Partner. During the COVID-19 pandemic, all HU staff are working from home. When our offices do reopen, returns will be on an opt-in and gradual basis.
Core Job Responsibilities:
• Provide vision and strategic direction for HU’s Operations functions and teams, including Finance, Legal, People, Grants Management, IT and Facilities.
• Manage and develop a team of 15 professional staff, as well as external consultants
• Engage closely with HU’s programmatic teams to identify and support shared objectives and opportunities
• Engage with the HU, HUA and HUCF Boards of Trustees
• Bring organizational acumen to bear on HU’s strategic direction to bring out the best of the dedicated staff
• Refine organizational systems and structures in order to promote cross-team collaboration, communication, and commitment to one another’s success
• Lead and optimize the effectiveness of internal decision-making forums, ensuring staff on these forums are working to live up to HU’s core values and meeting the organization’s strategic vision
• Ensure effective communication of priority issues and projects, including overseeing the production of monthly All Staff meetings, and promoting a culture of learning across the organization
• Identify, operationalize and lead change management initiatives to address key organizational projects and priorities
• Serve as a member of the organization’s Leadership Team that holds collective responsibility for the organization’s health, direction, and impact.
• Partner with the Managing Partner and senior leaders on regular planning, prioritization, and capacity assessment of the organization, and weigh in on major organizational strategic issues as a member of the Leadership Team
• Conduct special projects for the Managing Partner in partnership with senior staff that prepare HU for future stages of its evolution
Operations and Finance
• Own the vision and accountability for the annual performance of the organization’s operations team, promoting customer service, systems, and processes that reflect best practices and enable HU to deliver on its mission.
• Lead, develop, coach, and empower the team leaders and foster a culture of collaboration, learning, and innovation
• Provide financial leadership for HU, HUA and HUCF, including oversight of annual budgeting and forecasting, finance and accounting policies, financial controls and compliance, as well as aligning systems and policies that support staff stewardship of the organization’s resources
• Oversee the organization’s risk management and compliance responsibilities, implementing policies and systems that ensure the organization adheres to private foundation and social welfare regulations
• Ensure the necessary technology, security protocols, and office infrastructure are in place to support a growing, complex organization
• Oversee the relationship between HU and HUA as well as the development and management of other funds or legal vehicles necessary to advance the overall mission
People, Culture, and DEIJ
• Provide oversight to all aspects of HU’s people function, ensuring the organization has the human capital needed to meet its mission
• Cultivate a culture that promotes HU’s core values, and support a coaching culture that engenders continual development and growth
• Lead, model, and embed diversity, equity, inclusion and justice across all areas of HU, working through the DEIJ Action Team, senior management, and all staff
• Support initiatives on best practices in organizational management, performance management, leadership development, workforce planning
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Commitment to HU’s mission and values (including Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice) is a must, with experience implementing DEIJ initiatives
• Ability to effectively lead and develop teams with a dedication to servant leadership, holding the ability to be in-service to others and lead through accompaniment rather than top-down direction, while encouraging a thriving and impactful community and team
• Experienced executive with a passion for managing, developing, and coaching teams; prioritizes building authentic and respectful relationships with all colleagues within an organization
• Confidence and capability to adapt and lead in a fast-paced, changing environment while also navigating ambiguity and change
• 20+ years of experience with 10+ years of senior management experience, including leadership experience in nonprofits and/or philanthropy, overseeing finance, human resources, and operations
• Effective and persuasive communicator, both oral and written, with exceptional emotional intelligence
• Experience with financial forecasting, budgeting, and reporting along with a record of success implementing strategic goals and priorities across an organization
• A strategic, analytical, and tactical thinker, with a demonstrated capacity to successfully problem solve, plan, and facilitate progress towards organizational goals in a complex environment
• Possess unquestionable personal and professional integrity, humility, positive demeanor, and a sense of humor
It’s a bonus if you bring:
• Working knowledge of philanthropy and nonprofit management is strongly preferred, (c)(4) experience a plus, including knowledge of best practices in operations and grants management
• Direct lived experience of the issues we work on, including international experience
• MBA, equivalent postgraduate degree or equivalent experience preferred.
• We encourage qualified candidates lacking formal or direct experience to describe how their background has served as preparation for this role.
How To Apply
Humanity United’s search for a Managing Director, Operations is being assisted by Walker and Associates Consulting – a national strategic management consulting and executive search firm committed to DEIJ. To apply, email a cover letter, resume and list of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, January 8, 2021 at 5 pm PT. Use the subject line “Managing Director, Operations,” one combined PDF file is preferred, and candidates will be notified in advance of any outreach to references. All applications are held within the strict confidence and are reviewed on a rolling basis so early applications are encouraged.
Humanity United is an equal opportunity employer, and is committed to treating all applicants and employees without regard to unlawful considerations of race, religious creed, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition (cancer or genetic characteristics), genetic information, military and veterans status, citizenship and immigration status, or any other classification protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws. This equal employment opportunity commitment applies to all aspects of employment, including but not limited to, advertising, recruiting, hiring, job assignment, compensation, promotion, demotion, benefits, training, discipline, and termination.
Humanity United believes that diversity, equity and inclusion make us more successful in our work, and we are able to grow and learn better together when our team is diverse and representative of the communities we serve. We are actively engaged in a formal DEIJ journey as an organization, and expect that future team members are enthusiastic about these goals.
We are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and staff. In recruiting for our team, we welcome the unique contributions that you can bring in terms of education, culture, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, veteran status, color, class, religion, disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation, marital status and any other characteristics protected by law. We strongly encourage applications from people with diverse identities or who are members of marginalized communities.
HU is proud to offer all staff an inclusive and comprehensive benefits package to accommodate a diversity of needs and life circumstances and to accommodate staff at all life stages with flexible and supportive benefits.
In addition to full benefits, this role offers a competitive salary which we are happy to share on request. We will also share with all first-round interview candidates. We will not ask what you are currently earning or for any other details of your salary history.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to fully access our benefits of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation, or describe your needs in your application.