The mission of the Prison University Project is to provide excellent higher education programs to people incarcerated at San Quentin State Prison; to create a replicable model for such programs; and to stimulate public awareness and meaningful dialogue about higher education and criminal justice in California. The organization’s central project is the College Program at San Quentin, which provides both a College Preparatory and an Associate of Arts degree program to over 350 people at the prison.The organization currently has 12 paid staff, including the Development Manager position, and over 100 volunteers, most of whom are graduate students and faculty from local Bay Area colleges and universities. The organization has a roughly $1.3M annual budget, plus over $500K worth of volunteered instructional hours.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Development Manager is responsible for implementing and coordinating all key organizational activities related to fundraising. Job Duties include:
- Fundraising (70%)Manage a multi-year strategic fundraising plan for the Prison University Project.
- Coordinate all activities related to donor cultivation and stewardship, annual fund/direct appeals, development events, and planned giving.Assess and refine all fundraising tracking systems.
- Assist with grant-writing, reporting and other fundraising correspondence as needed.
- Oversee submission of all funding proposals, applications, and reports, and collaborate with the Development Associate on such projects.
- Support and work closely with the Executive Director, Board of Directors, and Board Fundraising Committee.
- Actively participate in cultivation, solicitation and recognition of individual and institutional donors.
- Work closely with finance and operations staff on matters related to revenue status and donations.
- Work with program staff to coordinate site visits for potential and existing donors.
- Maintain and oversee all development-related databases.
- Communications (20%)Produce and/or oversee production of communications materials, including annual report, newsletters, holiday cards, and general marketing materials.
- Support Executive Director in public relations and media outreach, and work with communications consultants as needed.
- Track and maintain database of PUP’s media coverage, and strategically share relevant press with key stakeholders.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Operations (10%)Work with Program staff and consultants to ensure full, accurate data collection and reporting necessary to support fundraising efforts.
- Participate in senior management team meetings and other organization-wide meetings as appropriate.
Key Success Factors:
- Exceptional commitment to high quality and accuracy in all written communications
- Significant familiarity with effective fundraising for higher education and/or non-profit organizations
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills, with consistent attention to detail, clarity, and organization
- Capacity to work effectively, diplomatically, and sensitively with a wide range of constituents, partners, and stakeholders
- Familiarity with current and evolving trends and best practices in philanthropy
- Strong time management and multi-tasking skills
- A passionate commitment to the mission of the Prison University Project
- Competence with Apple MAC-based computers and expertise in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Experience with fundraising and finance software (especially Salesforce) a plus
- Bachelor’s degree
- Available to work some nights and weekends as required for program implementation
- A valid California driver’s license, and a safe driving record
- Position requires lifting up to 15 pounds for ¼ of the time
- Ability to be cleared by the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation to enter San Quentin
Application and Deadlines
To apply for this position, please submit a resume and detailed cover letter, highlighting past experience and qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Development Manager” as the subject heading. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, until the position is filled.
PUP provides a competitive base salary plus benefits, including health, dental, and vision insurance. Vacation and holiday pay. Employees may also participate in a retirement plan.Statement of Non-Discrimination.
In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination/ harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/ domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status.