What is The Kresge Foundation?
The Kresge Foundation is a private national foundation, with more than $3.5 billion in its endowment and over 100 employees. Our mission is to expand opportunities in America’s cities for low-income people. We do this through grant making and social investing nationally in arts & culture, education, environment, health, human services, as well as community development in Detroit. Kresge’s Detroit Program is one of the foundation’s signature efforts, reflecting our commitment to work in one of America’s most challenging and dynamic cities and our belief in strategic, interdisciplinary, collective, and innovative approaches to urban revitalization.
The foundation has a state-of-the-art campus located in Troy, which includes an 1850’s farmhouse, a LED-Platinum certified wing and a newly opened expansion that includes a cafeteria and convening center.
Join an Award Winning Finance Office
Our award winning team includes three Certified Public Accountants whose accomplishments include the 2011 Crain’s Detroit Business CFO of the Year, a member of the Financial Accounting Standards Board Not-For-Profit Advisory Committee, a 2015 Crain’s Detroit Business CFO of the Year Rising Star awardee, a member of the MICPA Ethics Task Force, and a member of the Walsh College Accounting Advisory Board.
Our finance and accounting team offers the broadest possible exposure to the non-profit accounting field. You will have opportunities to learn accounting insights from some of the best finance and accounting professionals in the industry.
Strong Work Life Balance
We offer a competitive total compensation package including…
– Health benefits, employer-paid dental, vision, and life insurance
– Wellness program with financial incentives
– 4 weeks of paid time off
– Attractive 401k plan consisting of a 5% 1:1 employer match and an
additional 10% employer contribution
….and other benefits:
– Breakfast, lunch, and snacks daily for a minimal charge
– Robust professional development opportunities, including tuition
– Technology reimbursement
– Award-winning platinum LEED facility anchored by a 19th century
Available Position: Staff Accountant
Responsible for providing support to the Finance Department. Maintains and controls the General Ledger accounts and transactions of the organization, applying Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) that includes analytical work and thorough review of financial
Primary Responsibilities of the Staff Accountant include:
1. Review and process accounts payable, expense reports, grants and
2. Review and process corporate credit card reports and receipts
submitted by cardholders on a monthly basis
3. Perform Social Investment module monitoring, invoicing and
4. Record assets in the fixed asset system. Perform fixed asset
inventory. Reconcile and maintain fixed asset inventory schedules.
5. Perform general account analysis and reconciliations including
monthly custodial reports
6. Perform monthly and annual accruals, amortization of prepaid
expenses and recording of adjusting and reclassification journal
entries as required
7. Assist in the preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual financial
8. Prepare supporting schedules for the audit, budget and tax return
9. Track various tax reporting forms and prepare the 1099’s
10. Secure and maintain various record keeping documents
11. Develop and maintain job role-specific accounting policies and
12. Perform other duties as assigned
13. Strong commitment to the foundation’s vision and values with the
ability to demonstrate that commitment in daily interactions
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
• BA/BS degree in accounting or business
• Two-five years of accounting experience, preferred.
• Experience with information systems and data visualization,
• Knowledge of accounting principles and excellent verbal and
• Working knowledge of PC-based accounting software and
Microsoft Office Suites
• Advanced skill level with Excel
• Solid technical, analytical, organizational and planning skills with
excellent attention to detail
• Ability to multi-task, establish priorities and organize efficiently
• Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability in engaging the
cooperation of others
• Positive team attitude
For consideration send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org