The Kresge Foundation is one of the top 20 private foundations in the United States and is metro Detroit’s largest foundation. With a $3.6 billion endowment and a staff of nearly 100 employees, we work to expand opportunities in America’s cities for people with low incomes. We do this through grantmaking and social investing nationally in arts and culture, education, environment, health, human services and community development in Detroit. The foundation’s state-of-the-art headquarters maintains an array of energy-efficient, water-conserving and health-promoting systems. The foundation also operates an office in Detroit’s Midtown district.
The Director of Talent and Organizational Development is responsible for developing, implementing and managing talent and organizational development initiatives that support the The Kresge Foundation’s vision for Talent and Human Resources. The Director will work with the Chief Talent Officer and the Talent and Human Resources team to develop strategies, programs, processes and policies that build out, support, and advance the vision. The Director will create and maintain an environment that values diversity, equity and inclusion.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Develop and execute the talent strategy, drive the implementation, and build the talent management practice.
• Define required talent needs, skills and competencies and anticipate future requirements to ensure the workforce has the skills to address current and future business needs.
• Support continuous assessment of the foundation’s talent, identify gaps with talent needs, and develop and implement strategies to address the gaps.
• Define and manage processes for internal talent movement and succession planning.
• Lead the implementation and continuous improvement of the performance management and annual objective setting processes, tools and systems.
• Build organizational capacity in talent management by training managers to effectively coach and manage people.
• Provide ongoing leadership and support to change management activities.
• Manage across multiple dimensions of organizational development that enhance effectiveness, including strengthening teams, leaders, and culture.
• Assess employee engagement and create processes and initiatives to continuously improve engagement.
• Develop and implement employee engagement strategies, leveraging employee feedback, as well as industry best practices.
Talent Attraction and Acquisition
• Develop and execute cohesive recruiting strategy that meets the unique needs of each of the Foundation’s teams and attracts and hires diverse, top talent.
• Manage the end to end sourcing, selection, and onboarding process.
• Develop and project a clear and compelling Foundation employment “brand” to candidates.
• Design, develop, and execute talent attraction and acquisition solutions that continuously improve the process and create competitive advantages for the Foundation.
• Determine when staffing firms are required; lead the selection and negotiation of contracts with staffing firms.
Learning and Development
• Develop and execute learning and development strategies aligned with the Foundation’s needs.
• Design, implement and continuously improve learning and development approach, processes, tools, and systems.
• Design and oversee the implementation of individual employee career development plans.
• Create and ensure the effective implementation of an onboarding program.
• Facilitate internal learning where appropriate.
• Lead the selection and management of training providers when external partnerships are required.
• Develop knowledge sharing processes and programs that encourage learning and collaboration.
The successful candidate must have a minimum of 7+ years of progressive experience in talent and organizational development. The successful candidate would ideally have experience with multiple sectors including corporate or consulting. She/he should have a proven track record of partnering with clients/business partners and leading complex, high-risk, challenging initiatives.
The successful candidate will need to be energized by tough challenges, be forward thinking and creative, attentive to details, credible and driven to producing work of the highest caliber. She/he will need to be a strategic planner who is well-organized and self-directed with adaptive skills, analytical ability, good judgment, and ability to deliver results.
The incumbent will need to be an intelligent and collaborative individual who can relate to people at all levels of an organization, possesses excellent communication skills and be comfortable navigating organizational dynamics. This individual will have had responsibility for developing and driving organizational change and creating the programs and processes necessary to implement that change.
• Progressive experience in the design of talent and organizational development strategies, programs, and policies that align with the Foundation’s strategy.
• Possesses the maturity, experience, energy and resilience to be a partner who can tackle multiple priorities and lead change.
• Strategic decision maker.
• Ability to organize complex information and communicate it in clear and succinct ways both verbally and in writing.
• Leads and influences through collaboration and teamwork.
• Can effectively work with all levels of the organization.
• Motivates and focuses teams that report both directly and indirectly to her/him.
• Has a growth mindset and exhibits strong emotional intelligence.
• Can handle day-to-day problem solving in a logical, effective way.
• Strong project management skills and ability to deliver on complex initiatives.
• Needs to maintain confidentiality and discretion. Trustworthy.
• Excellent judgment skills. Knows when it is appropriate to deviate from guidelines and when it is not.
• Experience across multiple sectors preferred.
• Commitment to equity and diversity in the workplace.
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite applications and HR technology (HRIS).
Bachelor’s degree in a related field is required and master’s degree or particulary an MBA is preferred.
How To Apply
Please send your cover letter and resume to:
Camille Jackson, Senior Recruiter