The Kresge Foundation is one of the top 20 largest private foundations in the U.S. Our staff of over 100 employees works to expand opportunities in America’s cities for people with low incomes. We do this through grantmaking and social investing nationally in arts and culture, education, environment, health, human services and placed-based work in Detroit, Memphis, New Orleans, and other parts of the country.
Our state-of-the-art headquarters maintains an array of energy-efficient, water-conserving and health-promoting features. The foundation also operates an office in Detroit’s Midtown district.
About the position
The Environment Program Officer will support the Environment Program in advancing its goal of helping cities combat and adapt to climate change while advancing racial and economic equity. The Program Officer will assume responsibility for managing the program’s Climate Resilient and Equitable Water Systems (CREWS) portfolio of grants and social investments. The Program Officer also will work closely with other members of the Environment team to contribute to the design and execution of other elements of the program’s grantmaking and social investing strategies.
The Program Officer position is open to those who have completed a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a field related to urban climate resilience, such as environmental studies, public health, public policy, or urban planning; a master’s degree is strongly preferred. We are most interested in candidates whose education and work experience have brought them extensive knowledge of climate change mitigation and/or adaptation, environmental justice, urban water systems, and public policy. Candidates must have a demonstrated commitment to and experience advancing racial equity.
· Executing and refining the CREWS grantmaking and social investment strategy.
· Fostering a community of learning and practice among the organizations supported through the CREWS initiative.
· Contributing to the learning and evaluation approach for the CREWS strategy.
· Contributing to the design and execution of grantmaking and social investment strategies across the Environment Program.
· Participating in funder and cross-sector collaboratives as needed to achieve program objectives.
· Remaining abreast of new developments in the climate change field, including the relationship of climate change mitigation and adaptation to racial and economic equity.
· Representing the foundation publicly to share program approaches and outcomes.
· Traveling to conferences, convenings and site visits with grantees and funding partners once coronavirus safety measures allow.
· Leading special projects as needed.
· Preparing materials for internal presentations and meetings
· Bachelor’s degree or commensurate experience in a field relevant to urban climate resilience is required; a master’s degree is preferred.
· At least five years of progressive, relevant work experience in fields such as climate change adaptation, climate change mitigation, community development, environmental justice, philanthropy, public policy, urban planning, or urban water management.
· Previous experience in consulting/analysis, project management, or strategy development in the for-profit, non-profit, or public sector is preferred.
· Demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion.
· Demonstrated ability to manage a diverse workload and execute on strategies.
· Demonstrated leadership skills.
· Strong written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
· Strong project-management skills.
· Strong team orientation, including the ability to collaborate effectively within and across teams, functions, and sectors to reach common goals.
· Willingness to travel extensively once coronavirus safety measures allow.
· Willingness to relocate to the Detroit metropolitan area (at a time mutually determined to be safe given coronavirus concerns).
How To Apply
Application deadline for this position is 11:59pm EST on March 12, 2021.
Kresge is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBT applicants. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Please note: Due to the coronavirus pandemic, all Kresge staff are working remotely, and our Troy and Detroit offices remain closed until further notice. Kresge staff will not be traveling or attending in-person meetings during this time. Thank you for your understanding.