The Kresge Foundation is metro Detroit’s largest private, national foundation, with more than $3.5 billion in its endowment, a growing staff of nearly 100 employees and a mission to expand opportunities in America’s cities for low-income people. We do this through grant making and social investing in arts and culture, education, environment, health, human services, and community development efforts in Detroit. The Detroit Program is one of the foundation’s signature efforts, reflecting our commitment to working in America’s most challenging and dynamic cities and our belief in strategic, interdisciplinary, collective, and innovative approaches to urban revitalization.
Responsible for providing support to the Finance Department. Maintains and controls the General Ledger accounts and transactions of the organization, applying Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) that includes analytical work and thorough review of financial records.
Primary responsibilities of the Staff Accountant include:
- Review and process accounts payable, expense reports, grants and matching gifts.
- Review and process corporate credit card reports and receipts submitted by cardholders on a monthly basis.
- Perform Social Investment module monitoring, invoicing and reconciling.
- Record assets in the fixed asset system. Perform fixed asset inventory. Reconcile and maintain fixed asset inventory schedules.
- Perform general account analysis and reconciliations including monthly custodial reports.
- Perform monthly and annual accruals, amortization of prepaid expenses and recording of adjusting and reclassification journal entries as required.
- Assist in the preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual financial reporting.
- Prepare supporting schedules for the audit, budget and tax return.
- Track various tax reporting forms and prepare the 1099’s.
- Secure and maintain various record keeping documents.
- Develop and maintain job role-specific accounting policies and procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Strong commitment to the foundation’s vision and values with the ability to demonstrate that commitment in daily interactions.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
- BA/BS degree in accounting or business.
- Two-five years of accounting experience, preferred.
- Experience with information systems and data visualization, preferred.
- Knowledge of accounting principles and excellent verbal and written skills.
- Working knowledge of PC-based accounting software and Microsoft Office Suites.
- Advanced skill level with Excel.
- Solid technical, analytical, organizational and planning skills with excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to multi-task, establish priorities and organize efficiently.
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability in engaging the cooperation of others.
- Positive team attitude.
For consideration or nominations, please send cover letter and resume with salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 14, 2016.
The Kresge Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women and LGBT applicants.