Reports To: President and CEO
Employment Status: Exempt Employee, Full-Time
Supervises: Director of Communications and Marketing, Director of Development, Director of Membership and External Affairs Associate
Key Outside Relationships: ABFE Individual and Institutional Members, Donors, Board Members, allied organizations and individuals, clients program clients and vendors
ABFE is a membership-based philanthropic organization that advocates for responsive and transformative investments in Black communities. Partnering with foundations, nonprofits and individuals, ABFE provides its members with professional development and technical assistance resources that further the philanthropic sector’s connection and responsiveness to issues of equality, diversity and inclusion. Established in 1971 as the Association of Black Foundation Executives, the all-volunteer organization was credited with many of philanthropy’s early gains in diversity. It since has evolved into a fully staffed, influential network. In 2013, the organization shed its descriptor and adopted the simpler ABFE (ab-fee) to better reflect its broadening membership.www.abfe.org
The Vice President for External Affairs will advance ABFE’s mission by increasing the reach and impact of ABFE’s work: enhancing its overall reputation for excellence and expertise, strengthening relationships with key audiences and partners, raising the visibility of ABFE’s leaders and experts and shaping ABFE’s public image.
The Vice President is a member of the senior leadership team and reports to the President/CEO. The Vice President oversees a team of four or five staff members responsible for essential strategic functions, including communications and marketing, development, and membership.
- Thoroughly understand the organization’s history and culture; board, staff, membership, finances, funding, and programs.
- Identify the organization’s critical marketing and branding “gaps” toward understanding the essential components required to develop a high-level external relations and communications strategy.
- Assess and execute opportunities for membership expansion in key areas of interest (e.g., corporate philanthropy, Black philanthropy).
- Establish collaborative working relationships with the organization’s leaders, staff, and constituencies; foster and sustain a culture of cooperation, trust, communication, mutual support, teamwork, and integrity.
- Be the driving force for all diversified, unique, and creative fundraising while in collaboration with board members and staff; establish professional relationships with individual donors, foundations, government, and business funders and key members of the press.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure that all aspects of the department’s work are designed, budgeted, organized, and staffed to achieve maximum success.
- · Manage and recruit a high-functioning team to further the work of communications and marketing, development, membership, and ABFE’s overall mission.
- · Supervise external affairs staff and manage the day-to-day activities of the team.
- ·Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
- · Create an accountability program that motivates and mentors a team of independent managers to deliver the highest quality work to advance the mission.
- In conjunction with the Director of Membership, manage the membership database and extract relevant data toward understanding membership growth potential, while taking inventory of outstanding data needs.
- Build out a data-driven quality control program to ensure that the membership data analysis informs programmatic, fundraising, and communications directions.
- Scale current technologies that contribute to innovations in the service delivery models that drive the organization’s growth.
- Serve as chief development officer.
- In conjunction with the Director of Development, drive fundraising solicitations, expand networks and strengthen partnerships, especially with major private foundations and corporate philanthropy.
- Develop and implement strategies to build on ABFE’s successful fundraising track record by ensuring diverse revenue streams, including individual major gifts, foundations and corporations, mail and online programs, planned giving, and international fundraising opportunities, as appropriate.
- Set annual and long-term goals for increasing revenues for the organization’s overall programs.
- Generate increased revenue from both existing donors and maintain and grow a robust pipeline of prospective donors.
Communications and Marketing:
- Serve as the senior strategic advisor and lead on communications and marketing initiatives to the President.
- In conjunction with the Director of Communications and Marketing, raise the profile of ABFE through traditional news media, public events, social media, and other communications outlets, as well as public outreach.
- Oversee and update ABFE’s branding, public outreach materials, and graphic standards.
- Strengthen and deepen the connections to key audiences, including national and regional collaborators, members, partners, local community, foundations, and nonprofit public and develop and lead efforts to expand ABFE’s reach to new strategic audiences.
Education and Experience Requirements:
Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to and passion for ABFE’s mission;
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in a related field is required.
Minimum ten years of relevant experience in communications and marketing, development, and member services, preferably in the nonprofit sector with advocacy or racial and social justice organizations.
Exceptional written, interpersonal and communication skills with a commitment to a high level of customer service.
Ability to manage multiple high-stake initiatives using effective project management skills;
Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with short deadlines, demonstrating a flexible approach.
How To Apply
Please submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com by September,2020.