Funders for Reproductive Equity (FRE) is a community of grantmakers focused on sexual and reproductive health, rights and justice (SRHRJ) in the United States and around the world. FRE centers racial and gender justice as core values underlying its vision of Reproductive Equity and Justice. FRE develops and offers SRHRJ funders meaningful opportunities for learning, relationship-building, networking, strategic collaboration and partnership.
FRE seeks a dynamic Development Manager to advance FRE’s fundraising goals and long-term sustainability, with a focus on institutional donors, foundations, membership, and potential new sources of funding. The Development Manager will become an integral member of FRE’s staff team and a trusted resource to FRE’s donors and members.
Please note this is a virtual position.
Key Areas of Responsibility
Working directly with the Executive Director, and in close collaboration with the Operations and Program Directors, the Development Manager is responsible for supporting the implementation of FRE’s fundraising goals, including developing and managing fundraising systems and maintaining donor relationships. Key areas of responsibility include:
Grants Development & Management
- All phases of proposal development, writing, editing and production, working in close collaboration with the Executive Director and relevant FRE staff.
- All phases of grant report research, drafting, editing, production, and timeline management, including consultation with the Program and Operations Directors concerning relevant program outcomes and financial reporting.
- Developing, maintaining, and refining effective grants management systems.
Donor and Membership Communications
- Drafting membership appeals and developing donor materials.
- Drafting and editing relevant fundraising content for FRE’s newsletter and digital communications platforms.
- Responding to donor requests and facilitating donor support as needed.
Donor Cultivation and Engagement
- Supporting the Executive Director with cultivating and strengthening donor relationships.
- Identifying and developing effective approaches for seeking new sources of funding.
Grants & Financial Reporting
- Collaborating with the Operations Director to conduct financial analysis and develop reports to support fundraising activities.
- Developing reports on fundraising activities and outcomes for the Board of Directors.
- Supporting the Operations Director with managing outreach, recording and acknowledgement of membership fees.
Fundraising Strategy Implementation
- Supporting the Executive Director with development of the organization’s annual fundraising goals and strategies.
- Collaborating with the Operations Director to develop internal systems to manage, track, plan, and assess progress in advancing FRE’s fundraising goals.
Qualifications and Skills
The ideal candidate will possess the following key skills and areas of experience:
- At least 5-7 years of experience in nonprofit development and fundraising.
- Extensive experience with all phases of grant proposal and report development, writing, editing and execution, including effective collaboration to produce excellent results.
- Demonstrated experience with developing effective fundraising systems, plans and strategies.
- Exceptional written, spoken, virtual and interpersonal communication skills with donors, members, colleagues, and other key stakeholders.
- Demonstrated effectiveness with cultivating, raising, and managing funds from institutional donors and members.
- Commitment to excellence with relationship-building and collaboration among FRE’s internal team and external stakeholders.
- Experience with membership engagement systems and database management. Salesforce experience or willingness to undergo Salesforce training is preferred.
- Experience with financial planning, reporting, and analysis of financial aspects of grants.
- Effective project management skills; ability to successfully manage multiple competing priorities with tight deadlines.
- Passion, flexibility, deep commitment to equity, and sense of humor necessary for critical mission driven work in a dynamic and rapidly evolving field.
- Experience working in philanthropy and the reproductive health, rights and justice field in the United States and globally is preferred.
- Experience working in a virtual environment with a high level of comfort managing digital communications platforms is a plus.
How To Apply
To apply, please submit a cover letter, résumé and two (2) professional writing samples (up to 3 pages each) via email to FRE.firstname.lastname@example.org by close of business on Friday, August 28, 2020. Please note “Development Manager” in the subject line.
In your cover letter, please explain why you are interested in joining the FRE team; why you would be a strong candidate for this position; and how your experience and skills are relevant to the requirements outlined above. All inquiries and submissions will be kept strictly confidential. We will contact candidates who are being considered for an interview.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We value a diverse and inclusive workplace and strongly encourage people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, trans people, and gender non-conforming individuals to apply. As an equal opportunity employer, we recruit and hire with the understanding of systemic oppression and of the lived reality of people with marginalized identities. We also recruit and hire without regard to race, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, prior conviction, arrest history, disability, arrest history, disability, marital status, veteran status or age.