AFREF has been called “the leading voice for Wall Street accountability” in Washington.
AFREF played a leading role in winning passage of the Dodd Frank Financial Reform law and the creation of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, and we are driving the fight for broader transformations of the financial system to advance economic, racial, and social justice. AFREF’s staff develops plans and strategies in collaboration with a coalition of more than 200 consumer, civil rights, labor, community- based, and other organizations, along with academics and policy experts.
We are seeking a Research Associate who will support our research and policy teams in advancing AFREF’s agenda to transform the financial system to build a more racially and economically equitable society. They will work with the research team to develop reports and materials and provide research support for AFREF’s fast-paced legislative and regulatory advocacy efforts.
Job responsibilities include:
● Participate in developing, researching and writing materials including reports, fact sheets, web content, policy memos and other products;
● Assist in producing public comments, regulatory submissions, presentations and other materials;
● Respond to information requests from colleagues, coalition partners, and others;
● Monitor relevant news and government activity including congressional hearings;
● Maintain accurate records and materials necessary to support high-quality citations and sources; and
● Other research, policy, and administrative support as needed.
Ideal candidates will:
● Be passionate about the intersection of racial, gender and economic justice;
● Have a curious, creative, and persistent drive to uncover entrenched economic power with an interest in learning about and working on issues related to Wall Street, financial regulation, and consumer protection;
● Be able to gather, synthesize, and present complex information clearly, accessibly and persuasively;
● Have strong research, writing, and communication skills;
● Be detail-oriented with sound judgment and focused project-management skills to thrive in a fluid work environment with multiple projects and priorities;
● Be proficient with MS Office software (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), and Google Suite and be comfortable with developing additional data management skills and learning new software;
● Have a college degree or equivalent experience;
● Be able to work remotely and be in Washington, DC, or willing to relocate to when it becomes safe to do so;
● Be comfortable working collaboratively and independently, including as a team player in a large and diverse group of staff and partners.
Annual salary range for this entry level position: $45,000 — $55,000 commensurate with experience. Generous benefits, including medical, dental, vision, and 401K.
How To Apply
Please send a letter of interest and two writing samples to Darrell Diggins at email@example.com. (Enter ‘Research Associate’ in subject line and where you found the listing in the body of the email.)
AFR Education Fund is committed to a workplace that reflects the diversity of America defined broadly and where the talent, skills and uniqueness of each staff member are respected. We are committed to a policy of equity for all employees and to equal opportunity for all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, family responsibilities, and disability.