The Greater Washington Community Foundation’s mission is to strengthen the Washington metropolitan region by encouraging and supporting effective philanthropy and by providing leadership on critical issues in the community. The Community Foundation is the largest local funder of nonprofit organizations in the metropolitan Washington region, and is one of the larger foundations of its kind in the United States.
The Director, Major Gifts will lead efforts to cultivate and engage major individual donors to sustain and expand The Community Foundation’s programs. The ideal candidate will bring a proven record of successfully soliciting and securing five- and six-figure gifts from individual donors. This role requires exceptional organization, relationship-building, and communication skills. This position reports to the Vice President, Development.
- Identify, cultivate and engage a portfolio of individual five- and six-figure donors
- Thoughtfully and strategically participate in all aspects of donor relationships, including initiating contact, qualifying philanthropic capacity, and the preparation of proposals, solicitation, closure, and stewardship
- Ensure each portfolio donor has a clear relationship strategy and timeline
- Collaborate with Community Foundation leadership and the development team to create strategies to expand the donor pipeline, inspire mid-level donors, and meet annual goals
- Track and report on progress to leadership
- Create briefings, proposal materials, and other communications for major donors
- Build strong relationships internally across the organization, and proactively ensure access to the information needed to solicit gifts and build donor relationships effectively
- Share donor engagement best practices across the organization, and actively contribute to an internal culture of philanthropy and stewardship
- Be a visible presence at Community Foundation events and other programs to develop robust relationships with donors, prospective donors, and volunteers
- Oversee all major fundraising events, including signature events. Serve as a strategic partner in the development and marketing of these events, setting goals and delivering desired outcomes. Directly manage all aspects of sponsorship sales and host committee staffing for the annual regional Celebration of Philanthropy.
- Build and develop effective and transparent working relationships between the Philanthropic Engagement department and all other departments within The Community Foundation. Serve as the catalyst in strengthening a culture of philanthropy intended to permeate all areas of the organization.
- Create and lead an annual appeal using letters, emails, Board members’ notes on letters, calls and, where appropriate, visits.
Desired Skills and Experience
- A demonstrated record of building and stewarding strong donor relationships;
- Strong organization, project-management, and decision-making skills;
- Exceptional relationship-building and collaboration skills with an ability to quickly build trust with a range of internal and external stakeholders;
- The ability to create and deliver compelling and useful products and services for donor engagement;
- Advanced oral and written communication skills and the ability to present effectively to diverse audiences;
- Knowledge of the philanthropic landscape in the Greater Washington, D.C. community;
- An energetic, optimistic, and positive approach and outlook.
How To Apply
Please upload a cover letter and resume online here.