Founded in 1919 by the progressive business leader Edward Filene, TCF is a think tank that pursues its mission by conducting timely, nonpartisan research and policy analysis that informs citizens, guides policymakers, and reshapes what government does for the better.
TCF focuses particularly on four basic challenges facing the United States: persistent economic inequality combined with the shift to American households of financial risks previously borne by employers and government; the challenges facing the education and health care systems; and restoring America’s international credibility as an effective and cooperative leader in responding to global security and economic dangers.
TCF is based in New York, with an office in Washington, D.C. Its fellows come from academia, journalism, and public service, but share a commitment to the abiding belief in the power of ideas
The Century Foundation (TCF), a progressive, non-partisan think tank, seeks a policy associate/senior policy associate in the Washington, D.C. office to work closely with the K–12 education team, including education fellows Richard D. Kahlenberg, Halley Potter, and Conor Williams.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Researching education policy topics identified by TCF education fellows and preparing background memos.
- Attending think tank and congressional forums and preparing memos summarizing key insights.
- Writing short essays and other content for TCF’s website.
- Participating in the planning and execution of TCF education projects, including publications and events.
- Assisting with communications and outreach, including identifying stakeholders and promoting TCF’s work on social media.
- Providing administrative and logistical support for the education team and TCF events held in D.C.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education and/or work experience.
- Exceptional research and analytical skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong organizational and multitasking skills.
- Background in education policy. 1–2 years of previous related experience in public policy and/or education preferred.
- A commitment to looking at education issues through an intersectional lens, recognizing the importance of elevating the experiences of low-income students, LGBTQ+ students, students with disabilities, English learners, and students of color.
- Experience working on or studying some of TCF’s key K–12 education policy areas (especially advancing socioeconomic and racial school integration and addressing housing segregation) is a plus.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office and Google Apps (Google Docs, Sheets, Drive, etc.).
- A commitment to progressive values and interest in TCF’s education research agenda.
How To Apply
This is a full-time position in our Washington, D.C. office. This role may be structured as a policy associate or senior policy associate, depending on the qualifications of the person hired.
We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits package to all our selected candidates. To apply, please send resume, cover letter, and writing sample of no more than five pages to email@example.com with “[Your Name] Education Policy Associate” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we regret we are unable to confirm the receipt of your materials or the status of your application. No inquiries by third-party vendors or phone calls please.
The Century Foundation is committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds. Everyone is encouraged to apply, including LGBTQ+ people, people of color, and people with disabilities