Since 1984, Share Our Strength has led the fight against hunger and poverty by inspiring and organizing individuals and businesses to share their strengths. Today, through the No Kid Hungry and Cooking Matters campaigns, Share Our Strength is ending childhood hunger in America by ensuring all children get the healthy food they need. No child should go hungry in America—we’re on our way to making that a reality and we want you to join us. We’re bold, creative, always open to new ideas, and 100% dedicated to our mission. If that sounds like you, we’d like to consider becoming part of our team.
The Development Associate collaborates with the Director of Development, Mid-Atlantic to manage all aspects of the cultivation and stewardship of major and principal donors in the Mid-Atlantic region. The Associate deepens relationships across a defined major gift portfolio (through personal outreach and communications), to increase retention and long-term value of these donor segments, and to identify prospects for continued stewardship through the major gift pipeline. As Share Our Strength hosts events post-pandemic, this position will support the Mid-Atlantic team with multiple events throughout the year including the annual DC No Kid Hungry Dinner and smaller market events. This position’s role will focus on donor outreach and stewardship as well as some administrative support.
This position is preferably based in Washington, DC, but could be fully remote for the right candidate.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Identify, cultivate, and steward a portfolio of about 25-50 major gift donors in the Mid-Atlantic region.
• Support the Development Director in growing the market’s major giving program, including building the portfolio, managing the pipeline, supporting campaign planning and execution, and conducting prospect research.
• Work closely with the Director of Development and Creative Enterprise and Development colleagues to develop meaningful engagement opportunities.
• Develop annual donor plans strategies, meet with donors, and create detailed solicitation strategies, and collaborate with program teams to enhance donor communications.
• Coordinate communications, invitations, and track RSVPS, for all special events – virtual or live. Identify and solicit potential guests and work to transition to major gift donors.
• Help identify and steward event honorees/leadership and solicit table sponsorships for dinners and other events.
• Provide day-of event support including donor check-in and donor stewardship.
• Support event team with auction items including solicitation and redemption.
• Manage the development team’s records in Raiser’s Edge, which includes updating information on gifts, contacts, and campaigns, as well as generating reports and contact lists. Track daily all market donations to support timely acknowledgements.
• Submit gift transmittal forms, financial invoices, and check requests for the department.
• Assist team with all mailing projects including end of year mailing and holiday cards.
• Work closely with Gift Administration team to continuously improve quality of donor and gift data in Raiser’s Edge NXT.
• Partner with colleagues to support Share Our Strength’s work to be a diverse and inclusive organization, and ensuring those values are embedded in the organization and throughout our work.
• Assist with other tasks as assigned.
Has regular interaction with donors and donor prospects, and with Share Our Strength Development team, Donor Ops team, and Finance team.
This individual has no supervisory responsibilities, and reports to the Director of Development, Mid-Atlantic.
Normal office work environment with up to 15% regional travel post-pandemic travel restrictions.
• Bachelor’s degree preferred, but not required, and 2-3 years of relevant work experience.
• 2-3 years’ experience in development and/or membership fundraising preferred.
• Demonstrated ability to build sustainable relationships for the purposes of fundraising.
• Sound knowledge of industry trends and best practices; both detail and “big picture” oriented.
• Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities and maintain focus and detail orientation in a fluid environment.
• Outstanding interpersonal and relationship management skills, including the ability to identify and work through challenges, underscored by strong judgment and emotional intelligence.
• Adept at coordinating and prioritizing individual workload and maintaining focus and communication with colleagues in a remote environment.
• Proven ability to excel working independently and as part of a (virtual and in person) team environment.
• Credible skill in clear, persuasive, and dynamic communication with various stakeholders.
• Demonstrated interest in anti-hunger and anti-poverty issues.
• Strong computer proficiency including the Microsoft Office Suite and fundraising database systems (Raiser’s Edge preferable).
This position is classified as exempt from the Fair Labor Standards Act and is ineligible for overtime pay.
COVID VACCINATION REQUIREMENT
Share Our Strength is committed to providing a safe and healthy workplace for our staff. In order to maintain this safety, we have implemented a mandatory vaccination policy for all staff. This position is subject to the policy (on the website). If selected for the role you will be required to present proof of full vaccination prior to your start date.
At Share Our Strength, we value an individual’s diversity of backgrounds, experiences, ideas and perspectives. A hallmark of our history, culture and values has been the organization’s desire to bring together motivated, intelligent, and talented people to work together to find and implement solutions to end hunger and poverty in the U.S. and abroad. We each come to Share Our Strength with a unique background, but together we form a team that yields amazing results. This shared value of encouraging and embracing diversity in our organization fosters a workplace and culture that is highlighted for its innovation, open expression of ideas, and collaboration. With a strong shared commitment to the organization’s mission, and a unique blend of individual strengths, we are all working toward ensuring that every individual can live a healthy and productive life.
How To Apply
To apply please go to our careers site- http://shareourstrength.hrmdirect.com/employment/job-opening.php?req=2189203