Internews empowers people worldwide with the trustworthy, high-quality news and information they need to make informed decisions, participate in their communities, and hold power to account. We seek to realize the potential of a digitally connected world: a world in which evidence-based information advances human progress, enables broad opportunity and accountability, and fuels vibrant civic debate.
For more than 35 years, in more than 100 countries, Internews has worked to build healthy media and information environments where they are most needed. We have proudly incubated hundreds of sustainable organizations, bolstered the skills of thousands of media professionals, activists, and citizens, and helped these partners reach millions of people with quality, local information.
The Outreach Manager supports the Vice President of External Affairs in Internews’ efforts to identify, cultivate and steward individual donors and other partners. The Outreach Manager is responsible for managing and executing strategies for growing unrestricted revenue from Internews’ major donor program, both by identifying new major donors and increasing commitments from existing major donors. This will be done by implementing a major donor cultivation and upgrade program and personally managing a portfolio of major donor prospects. the Outreach Manager will collaborate with the President & CEO, vice presidents, and board members in the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of major donors, as appropriate. The Outreach Manager will also support cultivation, solicitation, and/or stewardship activities for other partners, as needed.
Internews’ major gifts program currently raises approximately $250,000 per year; our goal is to increase that to $1 million per year over the next several years.
Internews is a very diverse organization globally. We value the perspectives that result from the inclusivity of different voices, and the foundation of our work is to support free and open communications between all people. We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We are an EEO employer and strongly encourage people from all backgrounds to apply for any of our open positions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following; other duties may be assigned:
Planning and Strategy
- Support the strategic development for augmenting Internews’ existing major gifts program, including identification of major donors, strategies for stewarding and engaging major donors, and activities to maximize retention and increase gift size.
- Support the development of annual department plans and goals and execute plans to meet stated goals.
Prospect Identification, Cultivation, Solicitation and Stewardship
- Understand and expertly articulate Internews’ mission, vision, and funding priorities to donors and prospects.
- Manage and grow a portfolio of major donors and prospects, including qualifying high-capacity donors on an ongoing basis, forging strong one-to-one relationships, and developing tailored engagement strategies for upgrading key donors and prospects.
- Leverage board and senior leadership in engaging major donors by offering sound strategy, staffing calls and meetings with prospects, and performing follow-up.
- Travel (when it is safe to do so) frequently to meet with donors and prospects, documenting information gathered and conducting timely follow-up and regular relationship maintenance.
- Collaborate with Development & Communications staff to develop or refine presentations, funding requests, reports, impact updates and other donor materials.
- Support cultivation, solicitation, and/or stewardship activities for other donor/prospect audiences, as needed.
- Maintain donor interactions in Internews’ Salesforce donor database, major giving activity and results.
- Keep abreast of relevant industry trends and best practices and share knowledge with others.
- Other duties supporting overall Development activities as requested.
- Develop, support, and/or execute cultivation or fundraising events, when necessary.
- Build on a growing events schedule with a new Internews sub-brand, FilmAid. In 2019, Internews hosted a successful fundraising event in NYC, with plans to expand such events to LA in 2020.
*Given the challenges presented by COID-19, events will be conducted virtually until it is safe to return to in-person gatherings.
Internews is seeking a candidate who has:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values
- Proven experience cultivating major donors within a nonprofit setting and a track record of securing five figure+ gifts
- Strong oral communication and interpersonal skills, with a proven aptitude for forging strong relationships with major donors
- Experience working collaboratively and effectively with staff, Board members, donors, volunteers and a diverse group of community constituents
- Demonstrated success and effectiveness in identifying, qualifying, cultivating, soliciting, closing, and stewarding prospects and donors of $1,000 and more
- Proven aptitude for writing compelling funding requests, reports, and other donor stewardship communications
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail with the ability to independently manage time, multiple projects and competing priorities
- Ability to travel to meet with donors (when safe to do so)
- Ability to demonstrate discretion and hold sensitive and personal information about donors in confidence
- Tech savvy, must be comfortable in managing donor database software, preferably Salesforce
- Self-starter and a team player
- Creative thinking with a positive, can-do attitude under pressure
- Enthusiasm for the power of media and information technologies a big plus
How To Apply
To apply, please submit CV and application through our Careers page.