Strive: How You Lead Matters (Strive), founded in 1996 as Sports Challenge Leadership Academy, is a non-profit dedicated to building character-based leadership skills in young people. With a focus on reaching children and youth from underserved communities, Strive designs and delivers dynamic, interactive leadership programs across the country. Strive believes, and research proves, that SECD (Social, Emotional, and Character Development) skills are critical to life-long success. It is Strive’s mission to build these skills in the next generation of leaders with a focus on diversity, equity, and inclusion within the organization, in the Strive curriculum, and with every program participant.
Strive provides programming in schools and with nonprofit partners in Wilmington, across the state of Delaware, and nationally, reaching 3,400 youth in 40 organizations in 2019. All types of communities, universities, clubs, and schools including public, private, charter, and residential programs have utilized Strive teachings to engage different student populations. The programs have demonstrated positive results across multiple sectors and promote equity and inclusion among participants.
The Strive team and Board of Directors are driven by a set of core values: know thyself, fill tanks, brush it off and grow, be fair and honest, choose laughter, stick with it, and find the best in yourself so you can inspire the best in others. These values are animated among a collaborative and dedicated team and in the curriculum of Strive’s five successful programs.
Strive seeks a President to lead the organization to and through the next exciting phase of growth as it continues to develop and empower the next generation of character-driven leaders. Building on a 24-year foundation, the President will have overall responsibility of all aspects of the organization: leadership, strategy, revenue, operations, program quality, staff management and stakeholder engagement of the nearly $1M organization. Strive recently completed its 5-year strategic plan resulting in significant program innovation, growth, and revenue diversification. The President will work closely with the Board to develop and implement the new strategic plan as Strive continues to increase its impact.
The ideal candidate possesses exceptional leadership skills, embodies the Strive core values, is innovative and collaborative, and has a record of successfully managing the efforts of others while growing an organization, department or initiative. In addition, the ability to grow revenue from a variety of diverse sources, and a commitment to youth development and those who serve them will be critical for the new leader.
This position reports to a national Board of Directors, manages a dedicated and talented team of four full-time employees, 30 coaches, and 8 summer program staff, and will be based in the Wilmington, DE region.
The staff is currently working remotely in the Wilmington, DE region. Strive is open to considering candidates who would work remotely from other cities.
- Provide inspirational leadership and vision to the Strive team and embody and promote the vibrant culture that fosters collaboration, learning, and accountability across the organization
- Build on Strive’s focus on diversity, equity, and inclusion through intentional management, trainings, and thought partnership, ultimately formalizing Strive’s DEI work into a DEI strategy
- Empower, inspire, and hold accountable four dedicated and talented staff and part-time coaches with a focus on collaboration and professional growth and development
- Engage with members of the Board to leverage their talents across all aspects of the organization
- Work with the Board of Directors on setting the strategic vision of the organization
- Guide the implementation of the strategic plan; provide quarterly and annual updates to the Board
- Set clear goals for the staff to ensure fulfillment of Strive’s vision and mission
- Oversee the management and continued improvement of all programs, consistent with the organization’s mission and values
- Continually review and enhance the curriculum of Strive’s programs, ensuring they meet participant needs and are consistent with Strive’s vision, mission, and growth strategy
- Build on and continue to enhance Strive’s research and evaluation focus
- Oversee the successful execution of the organization’s day-to-day operations, including effective strategic financial decision-making and management, reporting, and compliance
- Create and maintain repeatable and measurable systems and procedures as needed to support Strive programs and strategy
- Lead annual budgeting process in support of strategic plan and mission
- Provide monthly reporting on annual priorities to Board
- Ensure effective and efficient financial management of the organizational budget
- Provide fiscal oversight working closely with bookkeeping service and Board
Development and Communications
- Manage and grow existing funder relationships and implement expanded funding strategies that generate new revenue from diverse sources to ensure organizational sustainability
- Develop and maintain relationships with key funders, partners, community stakeholders, program and coaching alumna, and other external organizations
- Advocate authentically and proactively for the mission, vision and goals of Strive
- Oversee development and implementation of PR and communication plan including social media and website
- Demonstrated passion for the vision and mission of Strive, including a deep passion for social impact and dedication to the organization’s core values
- An unwavering commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Minimum ten years of professional leadership experience
- Previous experience in a senior leadership role with a demonstrated ability to manage the strategic, financial, operational, and team leadership needs of an entrepreneurial education nonprofit
- Strong communication skills and the ability to engage a diverse set of key stakeholders into the Strive community
- A track record of successful sales and/or fundraising from a variety of sources
- Demonstrated ability in growing and developing an organization and its programs
- Experience in managing operations within a budget and appropriate cash flow
- Demonstrated ability to lead, manage, and participate in strategic partnerships
- Positive outlook, willingness to listen, and enthusiasm for professional growth as a leader and with the team
- A sense of humor and perspective
How To Apply