For over 80 years, Community Boys & Girls Club has accomplished its goals of opening doors and transforming lives by providing a safe place where young people can be themselves, be proud, and experience opportunities never thought possible. Through programs that expand horizons, the Club challenges youth to experience the world outside their doorsteps and gives them the tools they need to succeed.
TITLE: Executive Director
REPORTS TO: Board of Directors
POSITION: Exempt/Full Time
Community Boys & Girls Club located in Wilmington, North Carolina seeks a visionary, passionate, innovative Executive Director with proven nonprofit leadership and management skills; experience in expanding, developing and stabilizing nonprofit organizations; demonstrated experience working with an engaged and dedicated Board of Directors; experience in and a passion for quality youth programs; experience building relationships to sustain collaborations, partnerships and funders and experience demonstrating cross cultural competencies.
Community Boys & Girls Club’s mission is to inspire and enable young people, especially those youth from disadvantaged circumstances and backgrounds, to realize their full potential as productive, responsible and caring citizens to achieve their highest goals. Established in 1937 Community Boys & Girls Club serves over 800 youth each month using core programming standards that influence every part of children’s lives providing a positive place to grow into responsible, civic-minded citizens. Three facilities in a two-county area provide families with high quality, evidenced-based services with proven outcomes.
PRIMARY FUNCTION: In accordance with the elements of competence established for Boys & Girls Club executives by Boys & Girls Clubs of America, the Executive Director is responsible for overseeing strategic planning and operation of the Club in support of organizational mission and goals. The Executive Director provides leadership and support to the Board of Directors in attaining and allocating resources and establishing program development, oversight and evaluation. The Executive Director provides leadership and direction to staff in carrying out the key roles assigned to them.
Position Summary: The Executive Director is responsible for working with the Board of Directors to maintain an effective organizational structure and necessary operational capacity to ensure the success of all agency functions. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, ensuring that all programs are delivered and evaluated in keeping with best practices, emerging research and community opportunities, and potential innovations; expanding the agency’s influence within the larger community; hiring, training and evaluating staff; developing robust and diverse funding strategies and managing the agency budget; coordinating meetings with the Board of Directors, attending all regular meetings of the Executive Committee and Board of Directors, and ensuring compliance with pertinent laws and regulations.
KEY ROLES: (Essential Job Responsibilities):
• Support the organization’s mission and principles
• Provide leadership and direction to ensure the effective operation and delivery of programs within the Club and community
• Ensure an environment that facilitates the achievement of youth development outcomes
• Ensure the implementation of youth programs, services and activities that meet the requirements of all grants
• Ensure establishment of and adherence to policies and procedures
Resource & Partnership Development
• Ensure the annual budget is funded and organization has adequate cash flow
• Oversee the creation of financial development plans and participate in cultivation and solicitation visits with development staff and board members
• Create and maintain strategic alliances with community leaders and local officials
• Develop collaborative partnerships with other youth serving organizations, members, parents, families, funders and community organizations
Marketing and Public Relations
• Increase visibility of Club programs, services and activities
• Help create and implement a Marketing and Communications plan
• Develop and maintain good public relations
• Ensure and oversee a strategic planning process that results in the development and implementation of a quality strategic plan
• Ensure and oversee the identification and evaluation of opportunities for improvement and plans for improvements
• Ensure development, implementation and monitoring of the Club’s annual budget in collaboration with financial management staff and Board Finance Committee
• Ensure all necessary administrative and operational systems are in place to support effective operations
• Ensure productive and effective staff performance ensuring growth and success
• Oversee proper record keeping and reporting including activities and events conducted, breakdowns of daily participation figures and trends, notable achievements and any problems or issues
• Working in partnership with the Board, identify, recruit and develop effective board members
• Ensure active participation by board members and support effective board roles and functioning
• Oversee staff liaisons to Board committees to ensure they are provided with the information and support necessary to fulfill their objectives
• Ensure development, implementation and monitoring of plans for updating existing technology and resources
• Ensure the acquisition and allocation of funds for implanting and updating existing technology resources
• Ensure the maintenance of Club technology and information systems
Internal: Maintain contact with Board of Directors, staff, volunteers, Club members and their parents
External: Maintain contact with potential and current donors, external community groups, government officials, collaborators, partners, school officials and others as required
• Oversee special programs and events including, but not limited to, Boys and Girls Club of America national programs
• May be assigned special projects periodically by the Board of Directors
• Other duties as assigned
• Master’s degree with three to five years of experience managing youth programs and operations in a non-profit agency or bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a minimum of five to seven years of experience in a leadership capacity managing youth programs and operations in a non-profit agency
• Thorough knowledge of: the mission, objectives, policies, programs and procedures of Boys & Girls Clubs; the principles and practices of managing non-profit organizations; and resource development activities and sources of funding
• Demonstrated ability to organize, direct, plan and coordinate operations
• Leadership skills, including negotiation, problem solving, decision making and delegation
• Demonstrated ability to solicit and secure funding from individuals, corporations and foundations as well as grant writing
• Strong communication skills, both oral and written
• Strong speaking skills to groups and at events
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the Board of Directors, staff, community groups, and other related agencies
• Basic knowledge of asset management including financial resources and property
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to walk and stand for extended periods of time. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 100 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds. The employee is required to drive a vehicle for extended periods of time. Specific vision abilities required by this job include depth perception. The employee is required to sit for periods of time to perform functions on the computer.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, moving mechanical parts, and extreme cold. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
DISCLAIMER: The information presented indicates the general nature and level of work expected of employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain, or to be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and objectives required of employees assigned to this job. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
It is the policy of the Community Boys & Girls Club of Wilmington, NC to provide equal opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual preference, age or disability.
SALARY: Commensurate with experience
How To Apply
Armstrong McGuire & Associates, based in Raleigh, NC is conducting this search. To apply, click on the link to Community Boys & Girls Club’s position profile at www.ArmstrongMcGuire.com/apply. You will see instructions for uploading your cover letter, resume and professional references. Finalists will be asked to provide a writing sample. In case of any technical problems, contact email@example.com.
Review of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position has been filled.