FSG is a mission-driven consulting firm. We are experienced advisors to corporate, foundation, and nonprofit/NGO leaders. Through our combination of customized consulting services, powerful insights, and ground-breaking initiatives, we help clients around the world create social impact.
FSG’s collaborative approach combines rigorous data analysis with facilitation and a passion for impact. We help companies design social impact strategies that strengthen their businesses, and we help funders and nonprofits develop and evaluate strategies that advance their missions. We’ve worked with clients such as the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, General Mills, Kaiser Permanente, and the Global Fund for Women to create social impact in health, economic development, education, and more.
Please join us. We’re building a global community of leaders who believe there are business opportunities in solving society’s toughest challenges – creating what we call shared value for society and business alike.
Operated by a team from FSG with support from a network of partners, the Shared Value Initiative (Initiative) shapes this emerging shared value field though peer-to-peer exchange, market intelligence, strategy & implementation support, and shared value advocacy. To learn more visit sharedvalue.org.
We are looking for a dynamic, entrepreneurial development and program professional with a proven track record of developing and maintaining corporate and foundation relationships that lead to meaningful engagement and resource commitments. Reporting to the Initiative Managing Director, the Director of Development and Programs will be a critical member of a small team that works collaboratively to achieve the Initiative’s goals.
The Director of Development and Programs will spend approximately 75% of their time on resource development and managing partner relationships and agreements, and the remaining 25% of their time on overseeing programming for our partner community, elevating needs and insights of the companies and organizations supporting our work and translating these into meaningful programming that advances the practice of shared value.
The Director of Development and Programs will:
- Build new funding relationships to grow the Initiative’s membership and partner base. Priority new relationships to cultivate include corporations (those adopting or considering shared value strategies) and private foundations and other funding entities (those interested in working with the private sector around issues of importance to shared value)
- Identify new partner targets, develop and deploy partner cultivation plans, and convert into new Initiative corporate members or philanthropic funders
- Attend relevant events representing the Initiative while cultivating new relationships
- Engage with FSG shared value consulting leaders and other FSG Initiative teams to align partner cultivation efforts and inform/co-create proposals
- Build a nuanced understanding of shared value in order to be effective with new and existing relationships
- Advance existing stakeholder relationships in partnership with the Managing Director and FSG senior leadership to deepen the Initiative’s learning process
- Maintain cadence of member communications and check-ins, including responsibility for annual membership renewals, satisfaction with membership elements, and tracking partner participation and engagement
- In collaboration with Managing Director, engage with global network of regional shared value initiatives on collaborative opportunities (e.g., global network meeting planning and execution, content creation, fee for service arrangements, business development)
- Oversee delivery of existing and development of new, innovative programming for current Initiative partners and the broader SV field, including:
- In partnership with the Initiative team, lead planning and execution of the annual Shared Value Leadership Summit, convening 300+ global business and civil society leaders; source and prep speakers, develop and secure sponsorships, and curate VIP experiences to generate a successful event
- In partnership with the Initiative team, plan and execute (may include facilitation) quarterly Initiative Idea Exchanges fostering information-sharing and learning amongst a curated community of practice
- Co-create and deliver (may include facilitation) fee-for-service workshops and convenings
- Explore opportunities for partnership with external venues that can reach new audiences and socialize the shared value concept
- Contribute to shared value knowledge development through various channels (e.g., internal FSG content development efforts, blog posts, etc.)
- Contribute to Initiative team leadership and overall strategic direction
- Lead with influence over authority, with a results orientation and a collaborative spirit
- Help shape the overall strategic direction of the Initiative and drive the strategy for Development and Programs
- Be available to coach and mentor members of the team to help develop their skills and leadership
- Contribute to FSG firm-wide leadership as a member of the Leadership Group
- 10 years of partnership development experience with a proven track record of membership sales or related resource commitments, particularly with corporations and foundations
- Strong business development skill set and orientation, developed networks, and the ability to travel both domestically and internationally from 25-40% of the time
- Experience developing and leading programming for stakeholders and/or donors, with demonstrated ability to co-create and deliver to create value for all; strong facilitation skills
- Exceptional time management skills with ability to support high-paced, nimble initiative
- Ability to balance multiple responsibilities and the willingness to take initiative to get the job done
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; prior publications a plus
- Creative and resourceful problem-solving skills; considers implementation as part of the process
- Comfortable communicating across various staff levels within Initiative partners
- Independent worker with a strong attention to detail, follow-up skills and results orientation; able to take the lead role in all areas of the role’s responsibilities
- Prior knowledge of shared value preferred, but not essential
- Commitment to creating greater equity in society demonstrated through prior work experience and/or volunteer work
- Solid working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint
This is a full-time position based in FSG’s Boston office. We offer a competitive and equitable compensation package for the non-profit sector with the goal of attracting and retaining exceptional people. Salary bands are set according to an explicit compensation policy, and relevant market data is analyzed when setting bands for each role. We also offer a generous benefits package including: health insurance with 100% of premiums covered by FSG, 4 weeks paid vacation, a 401(k) retirement plan with employer match, cell phone stipend, disability and life insurance, and more.
Note: Visa sponsorship is not available for our US offices. In addition, we are unable to support the OPT Training Visa, as this visa will eventually require sponsorship.
Equal Opportunity Employer
As an equal opportunity employer, we value diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are committed to equal employment and promotion opportunity regardless of ability, age, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
How To Apply
Please submit a cover letter and your resume via our online application system. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.