For almost 20 years, CEP has led the movement to improve philanthropy through a powerful combination of dispassionate analysis and a passionate commitment to improving lives. Today, over 350 foundations have used CEP’s assessment tools to gather honest feedback from their stakeholders in an effort to learn how to be even more effective. CEOs and trustees have come to rely on our research for insights into foundation effectiveness on a wide range of topics, from assessing performance to developing strategy to managing stakeholder relationships. Our highly regarded programming—including our biennial conference—gives foundation leaders an exclusive and unprecedented opportunity to connect with their peers. Strengths of CEP’s work culture are entrepreneurialism, accountability, teamwork, collegiality, diversity, and mutual respect. CEP is based in Cambridge, Massachusetts, with a second office in San Francisco, California.
Editor and Writer
Programming & External Relations
The Editor and Writer role works closely with the Vice President and all members of the team to manage, promote, and write for CEP’s various content channels, including the widely-read blog and social media accounts. This is a unique opportunity to lead and build upon a well-known and trusted voice within philanthropy and the nonprofit sector at a moment of growth.
The Ideal Candidate:
- You have a track record of excellence in editing, curating pieces from a range of diverse voices, and writing high quality and compelling copy for a widely read content channel(s).
- You are passionate about writing, editorial leadership, storytelling, and seek to work in a mission-driven organization.
- You are an exceptional copyeditor – able to shape, refine, and turn around pieces quickly at a very high quality.
- You are a strong and collaborative communicator, both in writing and speaking. Your interpersonal skills allow you to interact effectively with your teammates, all levels of the organization, as well as external contacts.
- You are a talented multi-tasker who can successfully juggle multiple work streams and demands. You have proven success and excellent judgment in a fast-paced environment. You are flexible and adaptable.
- You are motivated by and contribute to team goals. You contribute and execute both independently and collaboratively with others on ideas for compelling content, dynamic speakers, and creative ways to reach our audiences.
- You are a genuinely wonderful colleague to have around. You work well within a close-knit team as well as across other departments. You are also excellent at managing up. Your highly positive attitude, shared commitment to excellence, and thoughtfulness are an asset to CEP.
- Managing CEP’s widely-read blog, including communications with guest bloggers, strong curation and copyediting skills, and maintaining a robust pipeline of weekly content with the support of the team.
- Managing CEP’s active and robust social media presence such as on Twitter and LinkedIn with engaging posts and conversations that amplify our work.
- Crafting CEP’s communications and marketing messages, including compelling weekly marketing blasts, event announcements, helpful monthly newsletters, press releases, and our annual report.
- Contributing other content writing or copyediting on an ongoing basis as needed across all of CEP’s departments.
- Playing an active role in event planning plus content and communications aspects of CEP’s biennial conference and frequent in-person and virtual programs.
- Actively contributing to team discussions, collaborating on cross-team projects, and supporting the team to reach our team goals.
- A Bachelor’s degree and at least 3 years in a relevant role is required.
- Strong computer/technical skills; demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook; familiarity with WordPress and MailChimp a big plus.
Our nonprofit model is central to our identity: our bottom line is impact, not profit. Yet even as a nonprofit, we successfully compete for top talent across both the public and private sectors and offer competitive compensation and benefits including:
- The annual base salary for this position is $80,500. In addition, this role is eligible for a competitive Performance Based Incentive Compensation.
- Comprehensive health and dental insurance plans.
- Generous paid time off plan, including up to 15 holidays, two weeks of accrued vacation, and two personal days per year.
- 401(k) plan with a 1:1 Employer Match up to 5% of total compensation.
- Generous annual personal professional development allowance.
- Flexible spending and dependent care tax free savings plans.
- Life insurance covered 100% by the organization.
How To Apply:
Please fill out our application for employment and attach a resume, thoughtful cover letter outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position, and three varied writing samples. If you have any questions, please contact Leaha Wynn, Manager, People and Culture; Diversity and Inclusion Strategist or Alyse d’Amico, Director of People and Culture at firstname.lastname@example.org . Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
We believe that a diversity of thoughts, experiences, backgrounds, personalities, and identities helps us think bigger and better, and enables us to reach our goals more effectively. We are committed to building a diverse staff and encourage individuals from all backgrounds to apply
Once a candidate begins our process, we discourage outreach to our staff for interviews or conversations that are outside our standard interview process. We have worked hard to design a process that is fair and rigorous and achieves a good match between candidates and CEP.
CEP evaluates candidates based on their merits. We strongly discourage unsolicited references. We will ask for references if and when a candidacy reaches a finalist stage.