The American Academy of Arts and Sciences, founded in 1780, is one of the country’s oldest and most prestigious scholarly organizations. The Academy is an independent policy research center that conducts multidisciplinary studies of complex and emerging problems.
Work closely with the Chief Advancement Officer to oversee day-to-day operations of the Development Office. Assume primary responsibility for managing the cultivation and stewardship of major gift donors and implement an efficient and effective major gifts plan for the Academy. Build strong relationships with the Academy’s program staff and stay abreast of current Academy work.
• Working with the Chief Advancement Officer, set short- and long-term strategies for the department and for major gift prospects and donors.
• Identify opportunities for stewardship and engagement. Manage prospect tracking for President, Development and Communications Committee, Program Directors, and Chief Advancement Officer.
• Draft and edit major gifts solicitations, acknowledgments, commitment letters, and stewardship materials. Draft presidential correspondence for donors and prospects.
• Provide coordination and support for the President’s development activities including identifying priorities for engagement. Assume primary responsibility for incorporating development strategy into presidential briefings for individuals.
• Work with the Chief Advancement Officer to create a supportive and high-achieving work environment. Motivate staff members to develop professionally and achieve success in their positions.
• Work collaboratively with and supervise the Development Associate.
• Oversee the agenda and preparation of materials for the Development Inside meeting and for meetings with project teams.
• May manage a small portfolio of individual donors for cultivation and for major gift and leadership-level annual fund prospects.
• Other duties as assigned. Some travel may be necessary.
• A minimum of 8-10 years of Development experience required.
• Bachelor’s degree required.
• Experience working with major gift donors and high-level volunteers.
• Excellent written and oral communications skills as well as the ability to rapidly comprehend and communicate complex information.
• Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and assign priority to key tasks. Ability to think strategically as well as operationally.
• Track record of building strong internal and external relationships.
• Computer literate and fluent in PC use of Microsoft Office, Excel, and Raiser’s Edge (or equivalent database).
How To Apply
Please apply using the following link: http://https://amacad.wufoo.com/forms/director-of-major-gifts/