ArtsWave began as the Cincinnati Institute of Fine Arts, founded in 1927 by Mr. & Mrs. Charles P. and Anna Sinton Taft. The Tafts believed that Cincinnati could truly distinguish itself through a deep investment in its cultural assets. In 1949, in response to the financial difficulties of some local arts organizations, and the continued erosion of endowment funds, the Fine Arts Fund was established as an annual, community-wide campaign. Since its inception, ArtsWave has raised more than $250 million in support of the arts across the region. ArtsWave helps create the kind of thriving arts environment that makes the Cincinnati region a better place to live, work, play and stay. We support and collaborate with arts organizations large and small throughout the area. Music, dance, theatre, galleries, museums, art centers, festivals, and more create communitywide benefits for everyone here. The arts create benefits like attractive, lively neighborhoods and a population that comes together to share ideas and experiences. ArtsWave is an equal opportunity employer and is strongly committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment where a variety of backgrounds, cultures, orientations, ideas, and talents can flourish.
ArtsWave’s Program Officer is a member of the Impact Services Department. This position will serve as one of ArtsWave’s primary liaisons with the arts sector. The Program Officer will assist the Chief Impact Strategy Officer in developing, managing, and evaluating ArtsWave’s portfolio of grants and strategic initiatives. The Program Officer will be integral in developing and maintaining a variety of relationships in the community, and a knowledge base of current trends, activities and changes within the community at-large. This position reports to the Chief Impact Strategy Officer.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
Grantmaking and Services to the Sector:
- Research potential and existing grantmaking initiatives and programs
- Respond to inquiries about ArtsWave’s grantmaking programs and application process; consult with prospective grantees in order to maximize their understanding of the grantmaking process
- Consult with grant seekers to ensure applications meet ArtsWave’s guidelines and/or initiative requirements
- Review all letters of inquiry and full grant proposals to ensure the required information has been provided
- Meeting management and staffing for grant review committees and Community Investment Committee
- Prepare proposal analyses and written summaries and recommendations for review and action by Executive Committee and BoardReview and track grantee requirements and reports
- Plan grants-related meetings, events, and site visits
- Keep the community and ArtsWave staff informed about grants and initiatives; make occasional presentations on grants-related topics
- Ensure that grant records are complete, accurate and current
- Keep current on grantmaking trends and practices
- Provide assistance to grant seekers and grant recipients as necessary to direct them to resources for organizational development, funding, program ideas, etc.
- General Comply with and contribute to refinement of operational processes and governing policies
- Contribute to communications tools such as website and e-newsletters
- Participate in regular staff and other internal meetings
- Work occasional nights and weekends to demonstrate support of the arts sector
- Other duties as assigned, including occasional help on evenings or weekends at ArtsWave-sponsored events
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Diplomatic, tactful, honest, and fair
- Ability to maintain professional discretion
- Excellent planning, organizational, and time-management skills
- Comfortable working with people from diverse backgrounds
- Demonstrated success working collaboratively and cooperatively with peers, across departments, and with other organizations and entities
- Self-starter and self-reliant, but able to consult effectively with others
- Passion and vision in regard to creating stronger communities through the arts
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in community, nonprofit or volunteer agencies, social services, grantmaking, or other work directly related to ArtsWave’s Impact Services function
- Proficiency with MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject line of “Program Officer Position” by August 5, 2016. No calls please.