LCV believes our earth is worth fighting for because everyone has a right to clean air, water, and a safe, healthy community. To ensure those rights are protected, we help people use their power to shape policy, hold politicians and polluters accountable, and influence elections.
For more than 50 years, LCV has grown into a potent political force for protecting our planet and everyone who inhabits it. We have built a powerful national movement with 30 state affiliates, and grassroots and community organizing programs across the country.
Title: Vice President, Finance (Financial Planning & Analysis)
Reports to: Senior Vice President of Finance
Positions Reporting to this Position: Senior Grants Accountant and Financial & Budget Analyst
Location: Flexible (within the United States)
Union Position: No
Job Classification Level: M-IV
Hiring Salary Range (depending on experience)*: $125,000-$160,000
*Hiring salary range reflects 10 or more years minimum experience
The Vice President of Finance will be focused on Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A) and responsible for overseeing the financial planning and analysis functions within the finance department and works in collaboration with the Accounting team within the finance department led by the Controller. This is a new position, function and team within finance so they must effectively build out FP&A function in Finance and at LCV. They will lead and provide strategic oversight to the FP&A functions within the LCV family of organizations including LCV, LCV Action Fund, LCV Victory Fund, and LCV Education Fund. This includes, but not limited to Budget, Profit & Loss, Budget vs Actual and Forecast processes; Grants Management; Financial Modeling and Planning; and Financial Analysis. They will lead a team of two including a newly hired Financial and Budget Analyst and soon to be hired Senior Grants Accountant. The Vice President will support effective internal controls, ensuring efficient operations and assisting in the organizations’ compliance with relevant tax and campaign finance laws and regulations. The Vice President will also support cyclical accounting processes as requested such as the annual audit, and filing of the IRS Form 990s.
● Direct and manage the organization’s financial policies and FP&A practices.
● Develop policy, procedures, manuals, training, toolkits and process points to help build out the effective functioning of this new area within finance that positions the organization to lead an effective budgeting, analysis, grants management and financial planning team.
● Manage a team of two staff directly and indirectly work with all finance staff to complete high level reporting, tracking and analysis across finance functions.
● Collaborate with departmental staff to support their knowledge base around financial processes, budgeting and monthly review process.
● Develop out a monthly forecast process and budget owner meeting process.
● Develop quarterly metrics and financial health dashboards to report to All Staff, Budget Owners, Departments and the Board Finance Committee and Audit Committee as needed.
● Support the Sr. Grants Accountant in the management of our Grants Management functions which track grant revenue and expenditures across entity, program, fiscal & contract year and department.
● Work with other department Vice Presidents on big picture support, knowledge transfer and guidance around grants management, budgeting and tracking.
● Take an active role in working with the Board Finance Committee on presentation materials and communications with them on financial updates.
● Conduct high level analysis for a wide range of needs including our CBA union process and all negotiations that require financial analysis and Strategic Plan Priority Areas. Manage finance report requests.
● Work to build a bridge between finance and departments and set up effective help desk systems for communication, tracking and a ticket like system for requests, training and support.
● Work with the SVP of Finance, the COO and President on financial health decisions and considerations around asset management, investments, reserves and other assistance with compliance processes for the finance department to maintain accuracy and completeness of revenue and disbursements reported.
● Monitor investment returns and relationship with organization’s investment brokers.
● Support the development of business continuity and contingency plans.
● Manage the financial modeling and scenario planning project.
● Develop, implement, and maintain the organizational financial budgeting system and budget narrative process. Facilitate a collaborative organization-wide budget process.
● Support the selection, management and migration of a new budgeting software.
● Develop dashboarding capabilities for financial reporting and train staff to these resources.
● Serve as a consultant and advisor to departments/programs on all financial matters.
● Provide leadership and strategic direction to the Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A) team.
● Lead efforts to create a departmental and organizational culture that is inclusive, respectful, and equitable.
● Ensure that hiring, employee development and performance management practices are consistent with racial justice and equity goals and philosophy.
● Develop and track progress on both the department’s racial justice and equity goals and the organization-wide Racial Justice and Equity Strategic Planning allocated revenue and expense. Prepare financial analysis reports around these goals.
● Perform other duties as assigned.
● Work Experience: Required – Minimum of 10 or more years experience in budget development & FP&A functions, and management of finance staff. Understanding of GAAP Accounting and Internal Controls. Experience with financial reporting and analysis. Experience with Microsoft Office Suite, particularly expertise with Microsoft Excel. Experience with AR Accounting, ASC 606 revenue recognition standards and revenue or grants/contract management software. Experience with conducting training to support staff around finance knowledge. Preferred – Experience working in a non-profit, political organization or campaign. Database experience.
● Skills: Strong manager and facilitator. Candidates must effectively manage time to meet multiple competing deadlines often under pressure. Strong technical acumen and understanding of modern financial reporting and frameworks. Must possess excellent written and oral communications skills, strong word processing and spreadsheet skills (Windows, Microsoft Word, and Excel required, PowerPoint preferred), attentive to details, and adept at developing and maintaining systems and processes. Comfortable working in a fast-paced dynamic environment; Ability to adapt well to new technologies and effective time management skills. Must demonstrate initiative in problem-solving; critical thinking skills; must be able to communicate effectively with members of the Finance Team as well as staff members of other departments and vendors; self-starter, ability to juggle multiple tasks.
● Cultural Competence: Demonstrated awareness of one’s own cultural identity, views about difference, and the ability to learn and lead on varying cultural and community norms. Commitment to equity and inclusion as organizational practice and culture. Understands how environmental issues intersect with racism, economic and social inequality in the U.S. and has a passion for working to dismantle these systems.
● Working Conditions: This job operates in a professional office environment, and routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and audiovisual systems. This position is largely sedentary, often standing or sitting for prolonged periods. Must be able to work with minimal supervision. The location of this position is flexible. Applicants need to be located in and legally authorized to work in the United States. Please note that most LCV staff are currently working remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic.
How To Apply
Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “VP of Finance” in the subject line by February 28, 2022. No phone calls please.
In the body of your cover letter please respond to the following question:
● How does your own lived experience align with our commitment to Racial Justice and Equity found here: https://www.lcv.org/careers/commitment-racial-justice-equity/
LCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a racially just, equitable and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information, or any other protected status. LCV is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.