Established in 2008 as an initiative of the Open Society Foundations, the Campaign for Black Male Achievement (CBMA) is a national membership network with the mission to ensure the growth, sustainability and impact of leaders and organizations committed to improving the life outcomes of Black men and boys. In 2015, CBMA spun off from the Open Society Foundations into an independent organization, which supports a growing network of more than 4,700 individuals who represent more than 2,500 organizations across the United States. CBMA’s work sits at the intersection of movement- and field-building, supporting local leaders on the ground, while at same time amplifying and catalyzing the Black Male Achievement movement across the country.
The Development Officer works closely with the CBMA Chief Executive Officer and Operations team to research, develop, and write grant proposals to foundations and other grant-making organizations in order to expand the organization’s current $5M annual budget. The Development Officer will persuasively communicate CBMA’s mission and programs to potential funders, report to the CEO and serve on the CBMA Operations team. The Development Officer will assemble and submit grant requests, establish and maintain personal contacts and relationships with foundation contacts, and maintain a calendar of submissions and other deadlines. The Development Officer will also work closely with CBMA’s Operation Manager with reviewing and managing CBMA grants to partner organizations in the field of Black male achievement.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Developing and writing grant proposals to foundations and other grant making organization;
- Work closely with the Communications Team to highlight the impact of CBMA work within the funding community;
- Draft Letters of Inquiry (LOI) to funding prospects; participate in meetings with funders and other resource partners;
- Work with Operation Manager to ensure budget and financial reports are completed in a timely and exemplary manner;
- Establish and maintain personal contacts and relationships with foundation contacts and program officers;
- Ensure prompt notification of foundation gifts to CBMA Operations Team;
- Create and manage a calendar to ensure timely submission of letters of inquiry, proposal deadlines and grant reports;
- Conduct rigorous research and due diligence in the fund development process;
- Provide writing support for major donor and individual contribution letters and acknowledgements;
- Participate in CBMA special events and field-building activities;
- Provide skilled editorial assistance and strategic recommendations to Operations team;
- Work in collaboration with subject matter experts to strategically plan, draft and package high-impact funding reports;
- Work closely with the CEO and Executive Leadership Team with preparation for funding meetings and presentations;
- Provide analysis of evidence-based practices for developing funding proposals and reports; and
- Work with the Operations Manager to review and process grant proposals received by organization.
- Position is full-time exempt employee
- Travel may be up to 10%
- Perform other duties as assigned, this job description does not cover or contain a comprehensive list of duties, activities or responsibilities that are required of this employee for this job.
- Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum of five years of grant writing experience in a not-for-profit environment;
- Experience obtaining funding from foundations, local and national grant sources, and/or individual donors;
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor in all situations and be able to withhold confidential information;
- Ability to collaborate with people and synthesize diverse sets of institutional perspectives into a concise report;
- Highly organized with superb attention to detail and project management skills;
- Ability to multi-task in a fast paced, deadline driven environment;
- Ability to take initiative, be entrepreneurial and work independently.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Essential functions are typically performed in an office with low-level noise. Job may require lifting typical office materials from time to time. The role routinely uses standard office equipment such as: computers, phone, photocopiers, filing cabinets, etc.
Submit a cover letter detailing your interest in the position and what you would bring to the Campaign for Black Male Achievement. Send cover letter and resume as a single document to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include Development Officer in the subject line.