Comic Relief US’s (CRUS) Youth Advisory Council (YAC) is composed of trail-blazing young leaders from communities most impacted by poverty, from across the US and globally. The YAC is engaged in our annual grantmaking process and the holistic program consists of workshops, public speaking opportunities at virtual events, a mentorship program, and the launch of a new fund. The inaugural YAC Juntanza “grantmaking” Fund launched in 2021 and ignites intergenerational social change by centering the voice and vision of marginalized youth globally. The Juntanza Fund supports youth-led programs focused on the critical challenges that emerged for young people during the COVID-19 pandemic including hunger, access to quality education and mental health services. This participatory grantmaking strategy further enhances CRUS’s commitment to new, innovative approaches to achieve the organization’s mission of a just world free from poverty.
The Grant Programs and Communications Manager provides critical grants management support and serves as a bridge between the Grants Team and other Comic Relief USA (CR USA) departments. This position helps the organization deliver and communicate about its grants program so as to achieve CR USA’s vision of a just world free from poverty. This position helps develop and implement systems to ensure the Grants Team is providing needed information to deliver the Red Nose Day (RND) Campaign and the organization as a whole is “leading with impact.”
The Grant Programs and Communications Manager reports to the VP of Grants Programs, with a dotted line reporting relationship to the Director of Grants Programs S/he supervises the Grant Programs Coordinator, Interns and Fellows as and when appropriate. In partnership with the Director of Grants Programs, S/he facilitates and ensures strong relationships across CR USA departments. S/he is the primary point of contact with RND grantees with regard to communications, disaster relief response, and intermediary processes. The Grant Programs and Communications Manager plays an essential role on the Grants Team in order to promote the engagement and growth of all Team members and enhance the Team’s ability to support the organization and our grantee partners.
GRANTS MANAGER/GRANTEE RELATIONSHIPS (25%)
- With the full Grants Team, develop strong partnerships with Grantee Partners, grounded in trust and respect; serve as a primary point of contact for Grantee Partners on all matters relating to Red Nose Day campaign support and year-round Comic Relief partnership.
- Along with Grants Programs Manager, stay fully apprised of Foundant capabilities so Grants Team and full organization can make full use of the platform; collect and maintain data in Foundant; run reports on impact data as required.
- Play key roles in coordination, content and design of Grantee and thought / field leadership gatherings.
- Partner with the VP of Grants Programs on Intermediary Funders and with the Director of Grants Programs on Rapid Response grant making; conduct research and assess concept notes/proposals for potential Community Foundation and Rapid Response Grantee Partners, as needed.
- Build proficiency in Foundant, with the potential to attend or host a Foundant training.
- In partnership with the Director of Grants Programs, prepare documents/agenda, facilitate meeting and take notes/action items for Core Grantee Partner calls.
- Continue to maintain strong working relationships with Hand in Hand grantees to ensure effective program implementation and strong communications; keep a record of all Hand in Hand records in the grants management system.
STRATEGY AND PROGRAM DEVELOPMENT (25%)
- Support the development of RND and other potential CRUS campaign’s grants strategies.
- Conduct portfolio and issue-related research, as needed.
- If applicable and in partnership with the Director of Grants Programs, help determine when to engage in Rapid Response grant making, conduct outreach, and assess concept notes for Rapid Response grants.
- Conduct research and assess concept notes/proposals for potential Opportunity Grantee Partners, as needed.
IMPACT COMMUNICATIONS, STAKEHOLDER ENGAGEMENT, CROSS-DEPARTMENTAL PARTNERSHIP & COORDINATION (40%)
- Manage the collection and filing of Grantee Partners’ assets, including case studies, photographs, videos, ‘money buys’ and other impact-related content.
- Produce or provide feedback on impact-related content; research and write issue briefs/talking points for senior leaders.
- Provide research, logistical, and safeguarding support on filming projects with Grantee Partners to ensure that CR USA’s relationships with its Grantee Partners are protected and RND’s impact is portrayed accurately and ethically; connect film crews with relevant Grantee Partners, participate in briefing calls, and attend filming trips as required.
- Provide logistical support and grantee relationship management for stakeholder site visits; coordinate with the fundraising and operations departments.
- Act as the primary point of contact and manager of grants and impact-related inquiries. Maintain strong communication with the Director of Grant Programs and VP of Grants Programs about requests for information and support relating to the Red Nose Day Campaign.
- Serve as a consultative partner to other departments looking to leverage grantee-provided assets; support the Director of Grants Programs as a liaison between other CR USA departments and the relevant marketing, communications, PR, creative, digital and talent counterparts at Grantee Partners.
- Partner with both the operations and creative team on best practices for Safeguarding and the management of clearances and rights for impact-related assets, ensuring the dignity and privacy of featured person(s).
- Support internal learning opportunities about grant making, impact and relevant issues.
- Collect, share across departments and coordinate CR USA’s participation in events relating to Grantee Partners, relevant issue areas and other impact-related initiatives.
- In partnership with the VP of Grant Programs and Director of Communications, pursue and facilitate thought leadership and advocacy opportunities for Comic Relief US; build an advocacy strategy to help guide CRUS’s plans and decisions as they relate to thought leadership and advocacy.
- In partnership with the VP of Grant Programs and Grant Programs Manager, develop agendas for Grants Team meetings and retreats; monitor action items.
- Supervise and project manage Interns and Fellows relating to research and communications / marketing.
- Play a supervisory role, along with the Grant Programs Manager, for the Grant Programs Coordinator.
These responsibilities, as outlined, are not meant to imply that these are the only duties to be performed by the Grants Programs and Communications Manager. S/he is expected to perform other duties as requested by his or her supervisor.
Comic Relief US values diversity and is committed to the recruitment and retention of individuals of underrepresented backgrounds including race, religion, gender, and sexual orientation.
Please submit a short cover letter, resume, and salary requirements no later than Friday, September 23, 2022. Apply using the link attached.