Part American palace, part industrial shed, Park Avenue Armory supports unconventional works in the performing and visual arts that need non-traditional spaces for their full realization. Since its first production in 2007, a 9,216-square-foot action painting by Aaron Young created by 10 choreographed motorcyclists, the Armory has organized and presented innovative and immersive programs—from site-specific art installations, to opera, theater, and dance performances. With its period rooms by Louis Comfort Tiffany, Stanford White, and Herter Brothers and its soaring 55,000 sq. ft. Drill Hall, the Armory breaks the mold of traditional presentation, enabling artists to create, students to explore, and wide audiences to experience epic and unexpected work that cannot be done elsewhere in New York.
The Armory is seeking a fundraising events professional to join a small but entrepreneurial group. Ideal candidates will be self-starters who work well within a fast-paced environment and an all-hands-on-deck start-up culture. This position reports to the Deputy Director of Development and oversees the Special Events Manager and Special Events Senior Coordinator.
The responsibilities of the Director of Special Events include, but are not limited to:
• Oversee the Armory’s fundraising events that raise over $3 Million including an annual Gala, holiday family fundraiser, and production-specific benefit events; the Gala is a collaborative project involving the full organization and is led by the President
• Galvanize support for fundraising events by building special engagement with committee leadership, event leadership, and the committees themselves
• Spearhead the continued development of a new events fundraising initiative, the Luncheon Series, with a key Board member, and spearhead the growth of this project that will provide a new pipeline for support for the Armory
• Oversee and systematize select administrative and logistical aspects of the annual Gala including managing financials for ongoing tracking and distribution, coordinating mailings and solicitors, being the point-person for catering and numerous other areas
• Collaboration with key executive staff on special projects including printed materials, run of show, entertainment, décor and other items pertaining to Gala and large events
• Manage a portfolio of cultivation and private events including the Armory’s membership groups: participating in conceiving the events, lead the logistics of these events and oversee the execution of them along with the two additional Special Events staff
• Coordinate all back office administration items including contracts and agreements with vendors and those throwing the events (for private events)
• Supervise 2 staff to build a dynamic team doing all special events activities
• Work with the Armory’s event design consultant to be sure that all events in the historic spaces confirm to the taste and aesthetic standards of the institution
• Implement new and improve upon existing systems to make processes more efficient including around financial revenue and expense tracking
• Proactively utilize Tessitura (the fundraising CRM) to store fundraising and events data
• Act as member of the wider Development team which requires ongoing activities like working events, staffing patron table during performances, and other duties as needed. Some evening and weekend work is required.
• Ideal candidates will be highly organized, motivated, high-energy, detail-oriented self-starters who work well within a fast-paced environment
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines
• Bachelor’s degree and five years’ experience in relevant field required
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel required and experience with Tessitura a plus
• Fundraising event experience for an event of 500+ required
• Focus on efficiency and improving existing systems and developing new processes
How To Apply
Interested candidates should submit resume and cover letter in a single Word or PDF document saved as candidate’s first and last name. All submissions should be emailed to HRDevelopment@armoryonpark.org with “Director of Special Events” in the subject line. Only resumes and cover letters submitted in this format will be reviewed. No phone calls, please.
Interested candidates should submit resume and cover letter in a single Word or PDF document saved as candidate’s first and last name. All submissions should be emailed to HR@armoryonpark.org with “Director of Special Events” in the subject line. Only resumes and cover letters submitted in this format will be reviewed. No phone calls, please.