The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers – to empower youth, improve health and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Chief Development Officer is responsible to plan, coordinate and implement strategies that will cultivate donors and contributions that support the mission and strategic goals of the YMCA of Greater New York. This role will be primarily responsible to develop and manage development systems which include volunteer and donor management, research and cultivation, gift processing and recognition. With the YMCA of Greater New York poised to significantly grow its philanthropic scope, the Chief Development Officer will be responsible to develop longitudinal growth strategies. This position will report directly to the President and CEO and will oversee the development office staff team with direct leadership of two Vice Presidents, a Senior Director and Manager.
We are seeking a proven strategic thinker who has an exceptional track record of success. S/he will be comfortable motivating, communicating and influencing at all levels and in a multitude of environments. This executive will operate with the highest levels of integrity, honesty and personal standards and ethics. The Chief Development Officer will demonstrate the following attributes:
- Deep knowledge of New York City philanthropic community.
- Strong leader with the ability to effectively articulate a vision for both the short and long-term direction of the organization.
- Established reputation as a diplomatic leader who is able to engage a wide range of ideologies and build consensus.
- Ability to enact change.
- Eloquent, articulate and persuasive communication style.
- Deep commitment to the mission of the YMCA.
- Directly supervise, develop and motivate four diverse and dynamic members of the Development team, while fostering a culture of teamwork, collaboration and accountability.
- Continue the strong growth of existing philanthropy programs and establish new initiatives designed to secure the support necessary to achieve the long-range objectives for program operations and capital expansion plans.
- Increase the Association’s endowment through philanthropy.
- Further develop a strategy for planned giving.
- Oversee and lead all aspects of major gift cultivation and solicitation which includes creating and growing a pipeline of major gifts from high net worth individuals.
- Staff and accompany the President and CEO, Development Committee and other Board members on solicitation calls.
- Provide leadership and staff service to the Board in carrying out their fundraising responsibilities including assisting the President and CEO, as required, to engage the Board in strategic fundraising efforts.
- Establish performance measures, monitor results and evaluate the effectiveness of the Association’s development program.
- Ensure attainment of the Association’s development activities through selection, development, motivation and evaluation of human resources, both professional and volunteer.
- Participate in identification and recruitment of members of the Development Committee and other volunteer leadership roles.
- Working with staff, ensure robust penetration of grant market and compliance with all grant programs undertaken.
- Expand the sophisticated corporate gift program.
- Become an active partner and advocate to ensure all fundraising needs are met in order to track current and potential donors and acknowledge, record and report all gifts and steward donors appropriately.
- Represent the YMCA of Greater New York to the Y’s national movement in all fund raising matters and coordinate the YUSA partner program in the Tri State area.
- As part of the senior management team, create and promote a positive and innovative culture by modeling hospitality characteristics in all interactions with staff, volunteers, members and the community.
Desired Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree preferred.
- A minimum of 10 years experience leading a progressive development program in a nonprofit organization.
- Demonstrated success in building and growing a development program, including diversification of revenue streams.
- Ability to perform across the fundraising spectrum, including corporate sponsorship, direct mail and online marketing, foundation relations, individual major gifts, prospect identification (corporate, foundation, individuals), and gift stewardship.
- Must be highly energetic, creative, persistent and flexible. It’s imperative that this individual possess the style, stature, diplomatic, motivation and interpersonal skills to work effectively with the President and CEO, Board, staff and volunteers.
How To Apply
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with an organizational culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promote participation of fundraising efforts in some capacity. If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “SVP, Chief Development Officer” to email@example.com or to:
YMCA of Greater New York
Attn: Human Resources Department
5 West 63rd Street
New York, NY 10023
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities
New York City’s YMCA | WE’RE HERE FOR GOOD.