Wellspring Philanthropic Fund is a private grantmaking foundation dedicated to advancing the realization of human rights and social and economic justice for all people. Wellspring has offices in New York, NY and Washington, DC. Wellspring’s work is rooted in respect for the dignity and worth of every human being and is informed by the following beliefs:
· Social institutions and structures should promote the full realization of human rights and human potential, and should be accountable to these ends.
· The rights of all people are advanced when the rights of the most marginalized and vulnerable peoples are protected.
· Social justice movements should employ means that are consistent with their ideals, and should give agency to the people whose interests they seek to advance.
· As responsible stewards, we must strive to maximize the impact of our charitable investments.
· As a private foundation, Wellspring’s key functions are to conduct research and education tailored to our mission; manage a grantmaking portfolio of various programs, administer grants and monitoring grantee performance; and work to promote the effectiveness of programs that receive donor funding.
Wellspring Philanthropic Fund believes we are strengthened by the diversity of our staff, and welcomes such diversity including race, gender identity or expression, educational attainment, disability, veteran status, and personal experience with the criminal justice system. We welcome applications from people of all cultures, backgrounds, and experiences, and we strongly encourage people of color and persons with disabilities to apply.
Wellspring hires, promotes and retains employees based on their professional qualifications, demonstrated abilities and work performance, as well as on the degree to which these qualities are required in the employment positions made available by the Foundation’s service needs and business requirements. All personnel decisions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, assignment, training, promotion, discipline and discharge, are made without discrimination based on any protected characteristic as defined by law (e.g., race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, age, disability, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, domestic partner status, veteran or military status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, and prior criminal convictions, as well as educational attainment.)
Wellspring Philanthropic Fund seeks an Associate to join the Perspective Fund (PF) team. The PF Associate will have demonstrated experience in impact and outreach campaigns for documentaries and will report to the Senior Program Officer of Special Initiatives. The PF Associate will support strategic planning, grantmaking, portfolio management and implementation of PF strategy.
Perspective Fund provides grant support to independently-produced documentary films that highlight social justice and human rights and align with our priority areas. Through our grantmaking, we seek to support documentaries that raise awareness, connect people, inspire action, and create impact around human rights and social justice.
The PF Associate will coordinate a limited number of direct film grantee relationships, under the guidance of the Senior Program Officer and co-founders, and will provide programmatic, research and administrative support for the team of three working.
Program/Impact and Outreach Campaigns for Documentaries
· Provide feedback on film cuts/works in progress/audience engagement strategies, impact campaigns and performing due diligence throughout the grant period.
· Collaborate with PF staff to curate, plan and produce events and grantee/field convenings; represent PF at film festivals and events.
· In consultation with Senior Program Officer, the PF Associate will prepare internal grant recommendations and reports on PF strategy progress, impact and plan adjustments.
· Organize and engage in convenings, partnerships, co-funding, and other strategies with peer funders to promote a common grantmaking agenda to advance PF strategy and field learning.
· Collaborate broadly and communicate with internal teams; capture and share knowledge of the PF’s learning and impact; and participate in learning and evaluation activities to guide the evolution of PF.
· Advise grantees on key impact and outreach campaigns and connect grantees with opportunities, resources, and other actors in the field.
· Under the guidance of the co-founders and Senior Program Officer, and in collaboration with the rest of the PF team, develop, refine, and implement grantmaking priorities and strategic approaches around film as a tool for social change.
· Monitor developments in the field to identify emerging needs, gaps, and opportunities in alignment with approved program strategy and how to best respond.
· Educate donors, other staff members, and public audiences on issues related to documentary and media for social change.
· Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
· Participate in all aspects of grantmaking, including initial screening of potential grantees, analyzing background information; soliciting and developing funding proposals; preparing grant recommendations; serving as focal point on select grantee relationships; conducting site visits.
· Build relationships with current and potential grantees. Maintain regular contact with grantees about programming.
· Liaise with grantee organizations on issues related to the grants process, due diligence requests, reporting and other data gathering for the portfolio.
· Conduct research related to field developments, opportunities related to grantmaking, and other topics requested by team.
· Assist the Senior Program Officer with drafting of summaries and analysis of grant proposals.
· Assist the team with tracking grantee work and outcomes, including reviewing grant reports, participating in meetings with grantees, and reading and tracking news and research.
· Track and maintain grantee progress for reporting and communications.
Research, Communications and Administrative
· Research and prepare educational materials and other information including presentation slides, newsletters and annual report.
· Participate in team presentations as needed.
· Assist team with planning and coordinating meetings, travel, workshops and convenings; make logistical arrangements as needed; manage consultant contracts.
· Support strategic planning, reflection and learning processes, including through research, analysis, preparation of materials, and note taking.
· Participate with other staff on internal Wellspring committees and working groups as needed.
· Supervise consultants for specific projects as needed.
· Other duties as needed.
How To Apply
For employment consideration, please submit application to email@example.com. Subject Line: “[Your name]— Perspective Fund Associate.” All applications must include:
1. a resumé;
2. a thoughtful cover letter, including how you became aware of this opportunity (i.e. job portal, referral, etc.) and salary requirements (must specify actual amount and range); and
3. one writing sample that shows your experience in social justice documentary film (in PDF format); this could also include a work sample that shows your experience in impact documentary and outreach campaigns. Visual samples are accepted.
Only applications that include these materials will be reviewed and considered.
No phone calls please.
NOTE: At this time, our preference is that applicants have work authorization to work in the United States. If you need sponsorship for a US work visa, please let us know in your cover letter.