EMpower, a global philanthropic organisation, is dedicated to improving the lives and horizons of marginalised young people ages 10-24 in 15 emerging market countries in Africa, Asia, Latin America, Russia, and Turkey. Through grants and other support, EMpower partners with over 100 local organisations working to strengthen the education and livelihoods of young people, and to build their resilience, self-confidence, and well-being. To learn more, check out our website at www.empowerweb.org.
EMpower has offices in Hong Kong, India (Delhi), London, and New York, staff in Singapore and Sierra Leone, and in-country consultants in Mexico, South Africa, and Turkey.
EMpower was founded in 2000 by financial professionals from the emerging market (EM) community who wanted to give back to the countries where they did business. Twenty years on, our partnerships with finance firms are just as important to EMpower and these relationships are critical to our work empowering marginalised young people in 15 countries. Our current partners include Citi e for education, Cargill, Credit Suisse, Estee Lauder, Principal Foundation, PIMCO, VR Capital, and many more.
This is the lead position to pursue corporate funding in the USA, responsible for initiating new corporate partnerships. The majority of leads and approaches are expected to be self-generated, through research and cultivation through LinkedIn and other networking channels. Approaches are supported by a well connected and active fundraising Board—see more information, including our 100% underwriting model on our website. The postholder will also work in close partnership with the other two Development positions in the USA, namely the Development Manager (focused on events and individuals) and the Development Officer, who will support the work of both Development Managers.
The Development Manager will join a talented global team. In total, EMpower has a global Development and Communications team of 9 people and a total global staff of ~30 people. The postholder will relish operating in a dynamic environment where there is opportunity to contribute to a wide range of strategic initiatives, including global fundraising strategies, working closely with the VP of Global Development and Communications.
- Own and support the development and implementation of the corporate fundraising strategy in the USA.
- The postholder will be expected to deliver $300-500k of new income per year from companies, from a combination of growing existing relationships and securing new partners. We recognize that these relationships will take time to develop and therefore the target in the first year will be lower.
- Build strong, effective working relationships with existing corporate donors.
- Closely monitor LinkedIn, business and philanthropy publications for promising opportunities, and identify new potential initiatives and strategies.
The role is primarily responsible for growing and sustaining corporate income in the USA, in line with EMpower’s organisational strategy. As a key member of a dynamic team, the postholder will also support other areas of fundraising where required.
- Proactive approaches to recruit new corporate partners, using LinkedIn and other networking tools.
- Close work with Board members to identify new potential targets and initiate relationships.
- Effective stewardship for corporate donors, ensuring collaboration and strong relationships, working closely with the Programmes Team.
- Actively support fundraising initiatives across the Development Team, including supporting on USA events and dinners.
- Planning and coordinating funding approaches, working closely with the Program Team, other regional development teams, plus senior management as required to develop high quality funding applications. This includes developing budgets and proposals in accordance with funder guidelines.
- Tracking corporate donor trends in line with global development goals; use knowledge to refine development goals, and share knowledge with other team members.
- Leading the development of annual income and expenditure budgets/forecasting for corporate fundraising.
- Internal reports (monthly) and reviews (quarterly) on the performance and progress of corporate fundraising against agreed financial targets, operational activities and annual objectives.
- Representing EMpower at forums, networks, and meetings relevant to corporate funding and funders.
This description is not exhaustive, and the post holder may be required to undertake other duties that may arise.
Professional skills, experience, and knowledge:
- Demonstrable experience of securing and/or managing grants from corporate donors OR institutional sales in a financial institution
- Track record of delivering or surpassing financial targets, operational activities and objectives, through own efforts and initiatives and mobilizing others
- Thrives when working face to face with high level stakeholders and donors, ideally with an interest or knowledge in the financial sector
- Demonstrated ability to prepare and deliver crisp compelling presentations and reports
- Track record of excellence in client relationship management
- Experience working in an international development organisation or philanthropic organisation is preferred; strong desire to do so is required
- Highly numerate with the ability to develop and monitor budgets; analyse, interpret, and communicate complex data and financial information
Personal Skills and Attributes
This post sits within a highly effective global Development team that has delivered nearly >10% growth each year over the last 6 years, including during the pandemic. The postholder will be highly proactive and will also enjoy working as a key part of this small team, maintaining an environment of excellence and camaraderie, and will be keen to contribute to strategy and effective cross-team collaboration.
Specific attributes needed are:
- Performance focused with personal initiative and a flexible and proactive approach
- Professional, and self-motivated with the ability to quickly understand new ideas and concepts
- High energy, enthusiasm, and resilience—comfortable with making cold approaches and pitching
- Well organized and demonstrates a high level of attention to detail, with the ability to manage multiple activities and meet agreed deadlines
- Ability to work in a global team that operates across different time zones and cultures
- Strong sense of ownership for quality of work, deliverables, and service
· Committed to and respect for EMpower’s mission and values
· Right to live and work in the USA, based from our New York office (hybrid flexible working options available)
How To Apply
EMpower is a public foundation that makes grants globally to benefit at-risk youth, with a strong focus on adolescent girls. We are committed to attracting, developing, motivating, and retaining exceptional talent and to a work environment that recognizes contribution, fosters respect and teamwork, and facilitates strong performance. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, recognizing that diversity enriches all staff and our work globally. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion or faith, or physical ability.
Please apply by sending your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, and put “Development Manager, Corporate Partnerships” in the subject line. We will only be able to acknowledge and respond to candidates identified as most suitable.