With offices in New York City, Cape Town, Johannesburg and Kampala, ELMA Philanthropies Services develops program strategies, identifies and explores grant and other investing opportunities, monitors investment performance, and establishes philanthropic relationships for The ELMA Group of Foundations. Each of the foundations within the ELMA Group is described below. ELMA Philanthropies is largely focused on providing these services to the largest foundation within the group, The ELMA Foundation. A full description of the activities of each Foundation can be found on our website: www.elmaphilanthropies.org.
ELMA’s impact investment portfolio currently includes LP positions in a variety of private equity funds focused on health in Africa as well as a handful of direct investments. ELMA also has active “non-traditional” investments in non-profits including a variety of financing facilities. We are currently building our portfolio of direct investments in education and healthcare businesses in and/or affecting Africa.
The ELMA Foundation’s mission is to improve the lives of African children and youth through support of sustainable efforts to relieve poverty, advance education, and promote health. It is currently active across eastern and southern Africa.
The ELMA Growth Foundation’s mission is to invest exclusively in Africa in the growth or expansion of initiatives focused on the economic and social development of low-income individuals, families, and communities.
The ELMA Relief Foundation’s mission is to provide post-disaster emergency assistance throughout the globe with special attention to the needs of children, who often suffer disproportionately in the aftermath of such tragedies.
The ELMA South Africa Foundation funds selected programs not aimed specifically at children, within the country of South Africa.
The ELMA Music Foundation’s mission is to provide philanthropic assistance to organizations in South Africa, the UK, and the USA that either provide music education to underprivileged children and youth or provide assistance to members of the music community who undergo personal and financial hardship.
The ELMA Vaccines and Immunization Foundation’s mission is to expand vaccine and immunization coverage for children globally.
Based in New York City, the Impact Investment Officer will develop and manage impact investments on behalf of The ELMA Group of Foundations. S/he will also work on grants for The ELMA Growth Foundation, and other special projects across The ELMA Group of Foundations. S/he will report to the Executive Director, and will work closely with the Chief Executive Officer, Director, Impact Investments (based in Cape Town), the Chief Financial Officer, and General Counsel. S/he will be primarily responsible for developing and overseeing direct investments in social-purpose for-profit companies in health and education in Africa. S/he will also develop and manage non-traditional philanthropic investments for non-profit grantees. We are looking for someone with direct investment experience and an entrepreneurial mind-set. S/he should have extensive experience in deal making and structuring both individually and as a leading member of a transaction team. S/he should also be knowledgeable of the impact investment landscape in Africa, or be able to quickly build this knowledge and network based upon a proven track record of applicable prior work experience.
• Develop and manage direct investments in health and education businesses in Africa
• Develop and present critical, analytical, and concise investment recommendation memos and other memos as necessary to ELMA’s Investment Committee
• Support program teams in complex financial transactions relating to non-profit organizations
• Conduct thorough investment due diligence
• Research and prepare memos for senior management and the Board on specific topics and special opportunities as requested
• Build strong relationships with co-investors
• Actively contribute to cross-office learning and strategy development
• Cultivate and manage a diverse network of partners and entrepreneurs working within the impact investment arena
• An advanced degree in business administration or finance
• A minimum of 5 years’ investment experience. A background in the social sector is not required. Candidates from the private sector are strongly encouraged to apply.
• Knowledge and/or interest in business in Africa
• Passion for social change in Africa
• Creative but able to focus and drive results
• Data and evidence driven
• Ability to source, analyse, synthesize, and effectively present information for a variety of audiences
• Excellent critical and analytical skills
• Proficient at financial modelling
• Strong work ethic and ability to prioritize and multi-task
• Excellent relationship-building skills and ability to collaborate on internal teams as well as with external stakeholders
• Ability to work non-traditional hours and travel locally and internationally as needed
• Legal authorization to work in the U.S. Salary and Benefits Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications. Excellent benefits package.
If you meet the above requirements and feel equipped for this challenging position please submit your CV, a cover letter and details of three contactable referees in confidence to ELMAjobs@elmaphilanthropies.org by 29 July 2016.The ELMA Philanthropies is an equal opportunity employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position.