While young people from low-income communities – who are disproportionately young people of color – face systemic inequities in school, in the workforce, and in life, they possess unique strengths, resilience and tremendous potential. When provided with support and resources, these young people fulfill their potential and achieve success in school, work and life.
Through a combination of mentoring and transformative experiences, Summer Search supports young people to successfully transition from adolescence into adulthood. We aim to unleash the potential of our young people while also building a toolkit for navigating and challenging systemic barriers to higher education and career opportunities.
Summer Search Philadelphia is seeking a Development Coordinator to join their innovative and highly collaborative team. Reporting to the Director of Development, this hire will work closely with the Director of Development and Executive Director, gaining valuable exposure and visibility in the fundraising industry and landscape in Philadelphia and Summer Search. This is an exciting opportunity to make an impact and to build skills and experience in a range of development functions from events to donor relations in close collaboration with site leadership.
- Support the planning and production for local development events and other smaller cultivation and stewardship events throughout the year, both virtual and in-person.
- Coordinate effective and efficient event operations, including invitation lists, pre- and post-event communications, venue coordination, vendor management, event committee support, and day-of event production. Coordinate the creation of event materials and mailings.
- Liaise with the program team to create and execute against a donor engagement and volunteer calendar, ensuring all members of the Philly development team have timely and accurate information on these opportunities.
- In close partnership with the Director of Development and Executive Director, manage a portfolio of existing individual donors that give $1-5K annually, utilizing a “moves management” system. Create and execute plans for qualification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship for each donor in your portfolio to reach and exceed a fundraising goal of $200K.
- Support the team and Board to identify and qualify new donor prospects, researching their giving potential and ensuring their philanthropic interests are aligned with Summer Search’s mission and values.
- Support the Associate Board by coordinating and attending meetings, managing regular communication, and organizing small events throughout the year.
- Support the Executive Director and Director of Development with scheduling external meetings and drafting donor communications and materials.
- Ensure accurate and timely upkeep of donor data in Raiser’s Edge (RE) database.
- Contribute to grant writing projects as needed.
WHO YOU ARE
- EXPERIENCE: 3+ years of work experience in development or a comparable field with transferrable skills. Comfortable with donor-facing and behind-the-scenes fundraising work. Understanding of the technical aspects of fund development, including donor qualification, portfolio management, and moves management, and /or demonstrated ability of learning on the job quickly and thoroughly.
- PROJECT MANAGEMENT: Works in an organized manner to achieve goals and objectives. Balances competing priorities when managing projects.
- COMMUNICATION EFFECTIVENESS: Well-developed communications skills, with an ability to comfortably facilitate group presentations and to articulate thoughts and ideas across various audiences, cultures, and mediums.
- TEAMWORK: Inspires and fosters commitment, connection, enthusiasm, and trust. Facilitates cooperation and motivates staff to accomplish goals. Manages and resolves conflicts and handles interpersonal issues constructively.
- ADAPTABILITY: Stays productive and Solutions oriented in the face of change and unfamiliar scenarios and remains curious and flexible and demonstrates a willingness to learn new ways to accomplish work.
CRITICAL CONCIOUSNESS: Demonstrated awareness and understanding of systemic and institutionalized racism facing communities of color, and the historical context of privilege and power in America, with sensitivity and humility in engaging others around these topics.
- DATA MANAGEMENT: Competency in the administrative process of acquiring, validating, and managing accurate information with a shared system. Leverages database to track donor data and organize information in the Development function.
- TECHNOLOGY SKILLS: Competency in CRM databases (Raiser’s Edge preferred) and Microsoft Office applications, with strong proficiency in PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook.
WORK HOURS AND LOCATION
Our team is currently in the office 4x a week. Our hours are flexible, with some staff working 9 AM to 5 PM and others working 10 AM to 6 PM, depending on the nature of their role. Some evening and weekend events will occur and therefore the ability to work some evening and weekend events is required.
Summer Search requires all its staff be vaccinated against COVID-19. Employees who are unable to be vaccinated due to a medical reason or sincerely held religious objection may be able to qualify for an exemption, consistent with state and federal law.
PAY AND BENEFITS
This is a non-exempt position with an hourly pay range of $27.54 – $29.68 (equivalent to $53,701 – $57,873). Summer Search is committed to transparent, equitable compensation practices. Salaries are benchmarked using current market data and salary bands are created to demonstrate the growth potential within the band. Typically, offers are made at the starting place of the salary band. The Hiring Manager partners with the Talent Team to ensure offers are appropriate, competitive and maintain internal equity.
We are committed to staff learning, growth and development. Our investment also includes:
- Medical insurance with up to 90% employer contribution
- Dental, vision, FSA, life and disability insurance plans
- 401 (K) and Employer Match up to $2,000 annually
- Generous time off including 15 vacation days, 10 sick days, and 18 holidays (2 floating holidays of your choice, a birthday day-off, 10 company-wide holidays, and a 1-week December closure).
- Individual, local, regional and national training.
- A commitment to developing leaders from within the organization
- An organizational culture that supports staff well-being and holistic self-care/community care
- Ample opportunities to connect with the students and communities we serve
OUR COMMITMENT TO EQUITY, DIVERSITY, AND INCLUSION
With a staff that cares deeply about social justice and equity, we believe that diverse perspectives and backgrounds create a rich work environment and enhance our ability to pursue our mission.
We are committed to building an organization with raised consciousness to impact how we work with students, as well as how we work together as a team.
How To Apply
Click here to submit a resume and targeted cover letter, addressed to Annie McGuirk Molina, Director of Development, that answers the question, “Why are you interested in the Development Coordinator opportunity at Summer Search?”
SUMMER SEARCH IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.