WHO WE ARE
ABFE is a membership-based philanthropic organization that advocates for responsive and transformative investments in Black communities. Partnering with foundations, nonprofits and individuals, ABFE provides its members with professional development and technical assistance resources that further the philanthropic sector’s connection and responsiveness to issues of equality, diversity and inclusion. Established in 1971 as the Association of Black Foundation Executives, the all-volunteer organization was credited with many of philanthropy’s early gains in diversity. It since has evolved into a fully staffed, influential network. In 2013, the organization shed its descriptor and adopted the simpler ABFE (ab-fee) to better reflect its broadening membership.
REPORTS TO: Vice President of External Affairs
SALARY RANGE: $90,000 – $92,000
The Director of Communications and Marketing serves to serves to advance ABFE’s goals through (1) developing and implementing ABFE’s communication and marketing strategy, (2) distributing and marketing of all projects, programs, and campaigns, (3) supporting revenue-generation efforts, and (4) advancing digital strategy and effective use of technology.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· In collaboration with the VP of External Affairs and external partners and vendors, support the relaunch of ABFE’s Drupal website with demonstrated ability to plan, publish, curate and update content and online features.
· Develop and execute an integrated communications strategy and project plan across all online platforms (web, email, social media, press).
· Vet and coordinate all media interviews and provide coordination support for public appearances and speaking engagements and provide media training and staff preparation.
· Develop metrics for evaluating ABFE’s marketing and communications efforts, improving performance, and measuring growth.
· Manage ABFE’s mass communications including writing, designing, and distributing regular e-mail updates, alerts, and other targeted member/ sector communications.
· Manage social media platforms and begin to refresh our online presence with daily posts, member mentions, and relevant sector news.
· Lead in supporting ABFE’s current campaigns, including our comprehensive and 50th anniversary campaigns which includes advertising with Black press, virtual PR events, fundraising opportunities, and mail campaigns.
· Prepare and coordinate the release of announcements, news releases, President’s messages, and other communications as requested.
· Support membership recruitment and retention efforts through digital and traditional media.
· Produce marketing collateral materials to support membership, fundraising, and programming efforts.
· Manage lists and list-building strategies in coordination with development, membership, and program functions.
Community Engagement and Growing Audience
· Monitor news cycle and relevant discussions in the racial and social justice, philanthropy, community. Lead rapid response efforts with the senior leadership team and Director of Membership to review current events, determine when an organizational response is necessary, and manage the next steps (e.g., drafting statements, pitching experts available, re-releasing existing products, support production of new products).
· Support interdepartmental project-planning and designing interactive products, more visual storytelling, and other methods to sustain organizational engagement with movement allies, members, and other stakeholders of engagement.
· Support Development team with fundraising appeals and creation of donation pages (e.g., graphics, video, content review, scheduling coordination).
· Promote attendance to the annual conference, webinars, workshops, and other events. Create merchandise for sale and coordinate sales at events and online and the creation of event materials (e.g., invitations, signage) and program development and messaging.
· Submit regular reports and funder-specific reports as needed with key metrics (e.g., media hits, social media analytics, web traffic, report downloads). Other duties, as assigned.
The Ideal Candidate will:
· Have a background in philanthropy and/or nonprofits.
· Experience managing vendors and collaborators with website overhauls
· Strategic and analytical thinker
· Excellent writing and tactful editor
· Diplomatic communicator who is comfortable working under deadline with diverse constituencies
· Strong project manager
· Demonstrated passion for ABFE’s mission
· Experience developing online content.
· Experience in Canva, InDesign, and developing online design content.
· Knowledge of AP Style
· Proficiency in social media, SEO, digital engagement, and online advertising
· Ability to produce, record and edit video content.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills with exceptional attention to detail.
· Ability to manage multiple high-stakes initiatives in a fast=paced environment using effective project management skills and flexibility.
· Driven self-starter who works effectively and efficiently with colleagues, partners, members, and other external stakeholders including senior level executives and CEOs.
· Experience working in Constant Contact a must, experience in Donor Perfect is a plus.
· Proficiency in computer and web-based technology skills, including database management, word processing, list management and Excel.
· Travel may be required.
· Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in a related field is required.
· Minimum six years of relevant experience in communications and marketing, preferably in the nonprofit sector with advocacy or racial and social justice organization.
· Experience leading, coaching, and training.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent in the position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills of the employee. Duties and responsibilities may change at any time with or without notice.
ABFE is an at-will employer and may terminate the employment relationship at any time, for any reason, with or without cause or notice.
ABFE is an active Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All employment decisions shall be made without regard to age, race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, disability status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, citizenship status or any other basis as protected by federal, state, or local law.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com for consideration. Include “Director of Communications and Marketing” in the subject line.