ABOUT THE STUART FOUNDATION
The Stuart Foundation is a family foundation dedicated to improving life outcomes for young people through education. We believe that public education is a public good that can energize communities, fuel the economy, and strengthen our democracy. Our work brings together and supports leaders and organizations across a wide spectrum of different backgrounds and life experiences, from immigrant parents to state system leaders, and from youth activists to superintendents of schools, to realize a vision where all young people experience a great education. These Foundation partners push the system to renew the promise of public education, work to disrupt longstanding inequities, and endeavor to make schools places that build strong relationships between educators and students, foster intellectual curiosity, and center human connection.
The Foundation has an asset base of $594 million, a current staff of 17, and makes charitable expenditures of approximately $22 million per year. While based in San Francisco, we work statewide in California as our primary focus, and also engage in specific, targeted activities in Washington State.
The Staff Accountant works with the Controller and the Senior Accountant to carry out the responsibilities of the Foundation’s finance team. This role is primarily responsible for all record keeping and accounting procedures related to a diverse investment portfolio, as well as the day-to-day accounting activities that support the work of the Foundation. The person in this position will interact in a collaborative environment with members of the Foundation staff on a daily basis.
- Prepares monthly spreadsheets for each investment fund, reconciles manager statements, and posts investment activity.
- On a quarterly basis, makes adjustments to the monthly liquid investment accounts.
- Reconciles statements for short-term investments on a monthly basis.
- Monitors cash flow on a daily basis.
- Prepares funding of capital calls.
- Sets up new investment funds.
- Processes redemptions and liquidations.
- Reconciles all bank accounts.
- Monitors checking account activity on a daily basis.
EXCISE TAX ACCOUNTING
- Coordinates and tracks all excise tax related activities.
- Participates in the preparation of the tax returns.
ADMINISTRATION AND OPERATIONS ACCOUNTING
- Prepares monthly Budget vs. Actual variance reports and assists senior management with other budgeting activities.
- Maintains and monitors fixed assets and depreciation schedules, monitors expenditures for capital purchases.
- Assists the Senior Accountant with administration and operations accounting support as needed.
- Completes and submits annual business-related filings.
- Assists Controller with maintaining and reviewing the Foundation’s insurance policies.
- Performs year-end closing procedures.
- Assists with the year-end external audit, including preparing schedules and interacting with the auditors.
- Assists with preparation of annual tax returns.
- Participates in setting priorities and goals for the finance team.
- Coordinates with Grants Manager to reconcile grants database to general ledger.
- Along with the Controller, attends meetings with the Program Department as needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or equivalent preferred.
- Background in nonprofits a plus.
- Strong proficiency in word processing and spreadsheet software.
- Ability to multi-task and strong project management skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; confidence speaking effectively on the telephone and in person.
- Hands-on team player who can also operate independently.
- Must be organized and have a high level of attention to detail.
- Self-confident, collaborative, knowledgeable and an analytical thinker. Must demonstrate good judgement and the ability to take action as appropriate. Ability to handle daily work details accurately as well as other projects, and dive in and learn the business.
Our team is composed of compassionate, committed individuals working to make meaningful impact. The Stuart Foundation as an employer is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion. We value differences among individuals across multiple dimensions and we work to build an organizational culture where each staff person feels they belong. The Stuart Foundation believes that all persons are entitled to equal employment opportunity and does not discriminate against nor favor any applicant because of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, physical ability, religion and socioeconomic status.
The Stuart Foundation provides a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefit package.
If you need a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in our application process, please let us know.
How To Apply
How to apply:
Please submit your Cover letter and résumé to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The position is open until filled.