About ORS Impact: ORS Impact is a consulting firm that helps clients clarify, measure, and align their social impact outcomes using evaluation, outcomes-based strategy and planning, theory of change, and robust internal MLE (Measure, Learning and Evaluation) systems. We support philanthropies, nonprofits, and government agencies in their most challenging and complex work with our expertise in advocacy and policy change, networks and coalitions, systems change, and initiatives and strategies.
“Impact” is not just part of our name: it is a core value for why we do this work. Implicit in this value is the belief that the world can be more equitable, and that accelerating social progress will lead to better lives for everyone.
These statements, however, do not explicitly address the systems of power that grant privilege and access unequally, particularly based on race, but also based on age, sexual orientation, gender, immigration status, or disability. These systems underlie the issues our clients seek to address and can be perpetuated and strengthened even as well-intentioned people seek to make positive social change.
We believe that diversity makes us stronger. We believe that all people are equal and that holding some groups of people down holds all of us down. We believe that these issues are complex and that we will stumble in our efforts. However, the goal of a more just, fair, and inclusive society requires changing how we work together, how we work with clients, and proactively finding ways for our organization to make a difference in the fight for a more equitable world.
About the Position: The Operations and Finance Manager is a new role designed to meet the needs of a growing consulting firm. The successful candidate will join an existing two-person Operations team and report to the Vice President of Operations.
The goal of the Operations and Finance Manager is to ensure the smooth running of the business while contributing to a positive culture of equity and inclusion for all employees and clients. This position will play a key role in helping shape the company from an operations perspective as well as being an active participant in ORS Impact initiatives.
The Operations and Finance Manager is responsible for ensuring that all aspects of the ORS Impact financial and operational infrastructure are executed appropriately and efficiently in collaboration with the Operations team. This position will utilize excellent communication skills to build and manage both internal and external business relationships to maintain high client satisfaction and a positive work atmosphere. This role will also oversee the documentation of ORS Impact’s processes and controls.
Duties and Responsibilities
It is important to note that the below description of duties and responsibilities will likely evolve and change as the person’s skill sets grow and the demands of the ORS business changes.
Financial Management (30%)
Manages the full spectrum of financial operations within ORS Impact.
- Maintain all financial and operational aspects in ORS Impact’s back office system, Unanet A/E (formerly Clearview InFocus).
- Prepare and submit monthly invoices to clients. Tracks and follows-up as needed on client questions about invoices.
- Perform all accounts receivable and accounts payable duties.
- Responsible for ORS Impact payroll process with payroll vendor.
- Coordinate and process all monthly expenses for disbursement.
- Process all incoming funds via check or electronic transfer.
- Work with the accountant to ensure monthly controls and filings that include account reconciliations, quarterly and annual tax filings.
- Assist with the preparation of annual organizational budget, regular variance statements and annual audit including end of year analysis.
Business Management (25%)
Manages most aspects of the ORS Impact internal business infrastructure.
- Responsible for documenting and maintaining internal policies, controls and processes developed in collaboration with Operations and the ORS staff.
- Actively apply ORS Impact’s values and commitment to race equity to ORS Impact policies, procedures, and practices.
- Support the Operations team in rolling out Phase 2 of Unanet A/E.
- Identifies, evaluates and approves operations vendors that align with ORS Impact’s values in collaboration with the Operations team.
- Co-lead and maintain vendor relationships including the vendor relationship for IT system and computer management in collaboration with the Operations Coordinator.
- Responsible for the maintenance of the ORS Impact contact database.
- Oversee the ordering of office equipment and supplies.
- Support staff meetings where needed.
- Co-manage the office space with the Operations team.
Client Account/Contract Management (20%)
Manages client contracts in collaboration with Project Directors – from initial project setup to tracking ORS Impact staff time/expenditures/expenses/schedules.
- Provide financial and operational support to promote Project Director’s successful project execution and client account management.
- Develop, maintain, amend, review, and close out select client contracts and subcontracts.
- Provide contract oversight and track contract expenditures including expense reports and billable time records.
- Manage the contract calendar and deliverables in collaboration with Project Directors.
- Support high client satisfaction across all segments of the organization and upholds all company standards.
- Responsible for filing and archived maintenance of ORS Impact client and business data.
People Operations (10%)
Manages and supports HR focused administrative needs across the organization.
- Co-lead with the Operations Coordinator the new hire process and intake with the relevant supervisor, including providing new employee orientation.
- Support identifying and rolling out ORS Impact company benefits offerings.
- Maintain personnel files in accordance to standard controls.
- Ensure the accuracy of staff time records including hours worked, PTO/vacation, and other leaves of absence.
- Engage ORS Impact’s outside HR service provider as needed.
ORS Culture (15%)
Supports an equitable and inclusive workplace at ORS.
- Contribute to creating an equitable workplace at ORS.
- Co-lead the planning and execution of events and gatherings with the Operations team.
- Actively participate in internal projects and initiatives where appropriate.
We are seeking a person that finds joy in their role in operations and customer service. This person ideally would wake up excited and happy to support an organization and staff that align with their values and make a positive impact on the world.
In addition, to perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The list below is representative of the knowledge and skills required.
Direct Experience in:
- Accounts receivable, accounts payable, invoicing, and accounting software required.
- Client contract management. Legal contract knowledge a plus.
- Preparing payroll.
- Highly Proficient in Microsoft Office tools; able to adopt new project management and client relationship management tools. Experience with enterprise software such as Unanet A/E or similar tools a plus.
- Applying DEI and anti-racism knowledge and skills to operations.
- Understanding of software and hardware technology a plus.
- People operations including general understanding of basic human resources administration.
Style/Approach to Business
- Proactively brings ideas to the team to further embed our commitment towards race equity and reflect our values in our internal practices.
- Excellent communication and relational skills with both internal staff and external client teams across organizational hierarchies.
- Communicates sensitive information in a tactful and professional manner.
- Attentive to detail and ability to prioritize work appropriately in a fast-paced environment; balance client needs and business realities.
- Prioritizes workflows between different project teams.
- Professional, flexible, and proactive in dealing with all levels of business from daily support tasks to high-level executive interactions.
The target salary for this role is $72,000, depending on experience. In addition, ORS Impact provides a generous benefits package that covers medical, dental, vision and health insurance (only a $60 monthly premium) as well as 15 days vacation, 6 days sick time, 10 paid holidays, 3% SIMPLE IRA match, a technology stipend, professional development support and an ORCA card (when we are in the office).
How To Apply:
As one document, please send your resume and cover letter detailing how your skills and experience align to the position requirements as well as where you heard about the job to careers(at)orsimpact.com by close of business Friday, April 23rd, 2021. In the subject line, please write “ORS Operations and Finance Manager”. We will contact all applicants after the deadline and schedule phone interviews with qualified applicants.