The Kresge Foundation is one of the top 20 private foundations in the United States and the only one focused exclusively on expanding opportunities for people with low income in American Cities. With a $3.8 billion endowment and a staff of over 100 employees, the foundation deploys grants and social investments across arts and culture, education, environment, health, human services and community development. The foundation’s state-of-the-art headquarters maintains an array of energy-efficient, water-conserving and health-promoting systems. The foundation also operates an office in Detroit’s Midtown district.
About the position
The Grants Manager is responsible for auditing all components of the grants and program-related investments in the Foundation’s grants management system, including budget allocation and payments, compliance, program and geographic coding, approval methods, agreements and write-ups. The Manager is responsible for curating the day-to-day grantmaking processes to ensure success metrics are met. The role shares information with internal partners and supports the training of foundation staff in grants management processes for efficient use of foundation resources. This position leads and manages the projects that support the grant making process; along with monitoring grant processes and activities for progress and completeness.
1. Manages and oversees compliance for grants and program related investments, payments and disbursement cycles.
2. Supports the development and oversees standard terms and conditions for grant agreements.
3. Creates program and management budgets and periodic financial ad hoc reports.
4. Negotiates and facilitates sensitive issues in the grantmaking process.
5. Ensures compliance with IRS regulations and foundation requirements for all grants and programs.
6. Supports the preparation of grant related materials for the monthly docket as well as the Board book.
7. Leads and manages all the team’s grant related projects and core activities; utilizing a robust project management system.
8. Acts as a link between Grants Management and across the Foundation so that grant-related activities are smoothly implemented.
9. Drafts and updates grant operations processes and procedures.
10. Develops a standard project management methodology for the Grants Management team.
11. Undertakes special projects as assigned or initiated.
12. Performs other duties as assigned.
13. Strong commitment to the Foundation’s vision and values with the ability to demonstrate that commitment in daily interactions.
· Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred.
· Seven or more years of work experience in a progressive, mission-driven organization working independently and with others in teams.
· Proven expertise in project management
· Experience in grants management preferred.
· Experience working in a grants management system.
· Strong organizational skills and a proven ability to work with other teams to negotiate and agree on effective solutions.
· Strong project management knowledge base; ability to utilize and shape grant related projects and activities using the right methodology.
· Proven ability to plan, motivate, manage and monitor progress of projects while keeping key partners informed.
· Ability to handle and prioritize multiple projects with competing deadlines.
· Excellent computer skills including project management platforms, MS Word, Advanced MS Excel, MS Outlook.
· Has an understanding of IRS and foundation-specific regulations, capability to read non-profit organization financial reports, nonprofit law and concepts of program related investments.
How To Apply
Application deadline for this position is September 20, 2020
Kresge is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBT applicants. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Please note: Due to the coronavirus pandemic, all Kresge staff are working remotely, and our Troy and Detroit offices remain closed until further notice. Kresge staff will not be traveling or attending in-person meetings during this time. Thank you for your understanding.