The Kresge Foundation is a $3 billion private, national foundation that works to improve the life circumstances of vulnerable people living in cities through grantmaking and investing in arts and culture, education, environment, health, human services and community development efforts in Detroit. In 2013, the Board of Trustees approved 316 awards totaling $122 million; $128 million was paid out to grantees over the course of the year. In addition, our Social Investment Practice made commitments totaling $16 million in 2013. For more information, visit www.kresge.org.
The Assistant Controller is responsible for supporting the Controller in the direction of accounting and tax functions for the foundation. This position manages the budgeting and payables process, prepares tax reporting, is responsible for complex reconciliations, and assists with maintaining the accuracy of general ledger accounts.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities – Performance Related
- Develops collaborative relationships with external audit and tax advisors, legal staff, and investment custodian to maximize the benefits realized from the relationships.
- Participates in analysis of complex accounting and tax issues as they arise.
- Provides technical expertise, reviewing and recommending procedures for compliance with accounting standards and tax regulations.
- Develops processes and procedures as necessary to ensure proper internal controls while promoting accuracy and improving efficiency of reporting processes.
- Develops operational, data documentation and troubleshooting procedures.
- Manages the annual budget process and quarterly updates with department heads.
- Prepares quarterly budget vs. actual reporting to the Audit Committee and Board of Trustees.
- Reviews payable contracts for terms and recommended changes.
- Reviews general ledger entries and reconciliations to ensure data accuracy and integrity.
- Prepares complex ledger entries, analysis and reconciliations.
- Assists with the monthly, quarterly and yearly close process.
- Assists with preparation for the annual audit as needed.
- Prepares tax work papers and Forms 990-PF and 990-T for internal and external tax review.
- Prepares all quarterly tax estimates and return extensions.
- Maintains tax basis schedules.
- Tracks foreign entity elections, transactions and related information for foreign reporting forms.
- Liaison with outside preparers of federal and state tax filings.
- Assists with tax and payout forecasts.
- Assists with special projects as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Strong commitment to the foundation’s vision and values with the ability to demonstrate that commitment in daily interactions.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
Education and Qualifications
- Excellent analytical, writing, verbal, and interpersonal skills.
- BA/BS degree in accounting, business or finance required with at least five years work experience in public/private accounting and/or treasury experience; CPA and public accounting experience required.
- Thorough knowledge of general accounting, finance, treasury and investment operations; working knowledge of GAAP and other authoritative accounting guidelines. Proficient in the application of accounting standards. Private Foundation tax experience is preferred but not required.
- Strong knowledge of Windows-based spreadsheet and word processing software required (Microsoft Office family of products). Knowledge and experience working with accounting and tax software (Great Plains and ProSystem fx, respectively) preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to engage the cooperation of others.
- Solid technical, analytical, organizational, and planning skills with excellent attention to detail.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Positive team attitude.