BoardSource is a globally-recognized nonprofit focused on strengthening nonprofit leadership at the highest level — the board of directors. With more than three decades of experience, BoardSource is at the forefront of nonprofit board leadership, research, and support. BoardSource provides leaders with an extensive range of tools, resources, and research data to increase board effectiveness and strengthen organizational impact and serve as the national voice for inspired and effective board leadership.
Under the longtime leadership of its President and CEO Anne Wallestad, BoardSource has transformed itself from an organization primarily focused on meeting the technical support needs of individual boards to a more complex and influential organization that marries technical support for boards with a strong leadership voice advocating for necessary change in social sector board leadership, particularly to center equity and shift power toward the communities nonprofits serve. Wallestad will be stepping down from her role in June of 2022 after fourteen years with the organization and almost 10 years at the helm.
BoardSource now seeks a new leader who can build on the organization’s transformative momentum to reach new heights. The next President and CEO will strategize to:
- Deepen and expand the organization’s work to spark board-level change that advances racial equity within organizations, their work, and ultimately their communities;
- Design and build a robust research practice that can fuel data-driven insights about board leadership trends, practices, and opportunities for change; and
- Respond to the continually evolving educational and technical support needs of nonprofit boards and board leaders in a way that is relevant and scalable.
The new CEO will be a dynamic thought leader on the role of boards and excellence in nonprofit governance and will continue to build and nurture a strong staff team and board collaboration to advance the mission. The CEO will build on the strong work of a well-recognized organization and brand in pursuit of an impactful social sector that serves all people and communities for our collective social good.
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
BoardSource’s next leader will be passionate about the essential role the nonprofit sector plays in supporting and strengthening society, and believe deeply in the critical importance of inspired, effective, and engaged board leadership. They will have a deep understanding of the breadth and complexity of the nonprofit sector and demonstrated experience as a nonprofit leader, including service on nonprofit boards and experience working in partnership with boards. The CEO will also possess personal leadership skills consistent with the organization’s values of courage, curiosity, inclusiveness, and collaboration. The ideal leader for BoardSource will possess the following attributes:
- Intellectually curious and a strategic, big-picture thinker – able to understand the full range of issues that affect board performance, be committed to ongoing learning, and have the ability to conceptualize a desired future and a theory of change to get there.
- Inspirational and visionary – a record of communicating new ideas and aspirational goals as a thought leader in the field and to motivate others to act, reflecting strong written and oral communications skills, public presence, and media savvy.
- A strong leader of people and culture – an effective leader of people, able to build and engage a high-functioning internal team and develop strong relationships that reinforce a healthy culture. This includes being self-aware and open to giving and receiving feedback with a growth mindset, as well as the ability to leverage these qualities in their engagement with the team.
- Collaborative and networked in their approach to organizational success – able to engage effectively with an array of external collaborators that view BoardSource as a reliable, committed partner rather than a competitor. Model this orientation to other leaders and organizations, working to support and build on the success of others through open, adaptive, and appreciative partnership.
- Intentional in cultivating the board-staff partnership – model the ideal partnership between a board and an executive. From the CEO, this requires honesty, transparency, humility, and a deep-seated appreciation for the board’s strategic role.
- Deeply committed to diversity, inclusion, and equity – demonstrated personal commitment not just to building a diverse, inclusive, and equitable organization, but also to helping BoardSource exercise leadership in the sector, with the ability to translate BoardSource’s commitment into actions, policies, and programs both for the organization and the larger field.
- A capable and compelling fundraiser – a highly effective fundraiser, building relationships with foundation and corporate leaders that cultivate an understanding and appreciation of BoardSource’s work that results in financial support. The leader should have experience developing and communicating a powerful case for philanthropic support, ideally in the specific context of infrastructure organizations, and closing large-scale institutional asks.
- A strategic and disciplined financial leader – demonstrated understanding of organizational financial management, with a demonstrated track record of managing to budgeted net, adapting and evolving business models, developing new revenue streams, and building a financially stable and sustainable organization.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
BoardSource offers competitive wages and excellent benefits, including high-quality health insurance with dental and vision coverage, life insurance, a retirement plan with employer match, and other work/life benefits. The salary range for this position is between $250,000 – $275,000.
How To Apply
More information about BoardSource may be found at: boardsource.org
This search is being led by Linh Nguyen, Carolyn Ho, and Rachel Burgoyne of NPAG. Candidates may submit their cover letter, outlining their interest and qualifications, along with their resume via NPAG’s website.
Commitment to Diversity, Inclusion, & Equity
In the leadership BoardSource provides to nonprofit organizations across the social sector, we work to spark new awareness about why a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and equity is essential within nonprofit organizations, as well as provide practical support and guidance about how to create positive change. This work flows from our belief that a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and equity is essential to realizing our vision of a world where every social sector organization has the leadership it needs to fulfill its mission and advance the public good. Given this commitment and effort, we work to ensure that our own team is diverse and inclusive, and that the entire team – regardless of background or identity – feels empowered to bring their authentic selves to work. Our work is enriched by the lived experiences of our team members, and there is no replacement for lived experience when working on issues of diversity, inclusion, and equity. We are eager to welcome future team members who share our commitment to diversity, inclusion, and equity; we also strongly encourage individuals from diverse backgrounds to apply.