The National Women’s Law Center fights for gender justice — in the courts, in public policy, and in our society — working across the issues that are central to the lives of women and girls.
We use the law in all its forms to change culture and drive solutions to the gender inequity that shapes our society and to break down the barriers that harm all of us — especially those who face multiple forms of discrimination, including women of color, LGBTQ people, and low-income women and families.
For more than 45 years, we have been on the leading edge of every major legal and policy victory for women, and we need you with us to continue this fight.
The National Women’s Law Center seeks two (2) talented and experienced grant writers to join its Development team as Managers of Foundation Relations. The Managers of Foundation Relations will support foundation fundraising efforts across all of the Center’s program areas, including reproductive rights and health, income security and child care, and workplace justice, and will serve as a key member of a development team that is expanding networks of and deepening relationships with individual, corporate, law firm, and foundation donors for this leading women’s rights organization.
- Develop detailed proposals and reports for the Center’s foundation funders across the Center’s program areas, in collaboration with the Director of Foundation Engagement and key program area and communications/marketing staff.
- Develop issue-specific projects/programs and related budgets in collaboration with the Director of Foundation Engagement, Vice President for Development, and program, communications/marketing and finance staff as appropriate.
- Track project/program activities and expenses in collaboration with the Director of Foundation Engagement, Vice President for Development, program staff, and finance staff.
- Maintain and track pertinent foundation outreach—including cultivations, solicitations, and other activities—in Raiser’s Edge and other tracking systems.
- Directly manage a portfolio of foundation funders.
- Engage in grant stewardship, cultivation, and regular communications with foundation staff.
- Engage in foundation prospect research and cultivation.
- Under the direction of the Director of Foundation Engagement and in collaboration with the Vice President for Development and colleagues in Finance, assist in developing and monitoring the Center’s annual and longer-term revenue plan and the Development department’s annual budget as they relate to foundation support.
- Engage in other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- At least 2 years of progressively responsible foundation fundraising experience, including significant experience in writing foundation grant proposals and reports, preferably at a major national advocacy organization;
- Proven track record in building and maintaining successful relationships with foundations;
- Superior oral and written communications skills, including the ability to write in compelling language about the Center’s work and to prepare complex proposals, reports and related materials;
- Demonstrated ability to influence and engage diverse audiences and to build long-term relationships, including experience leveraging executive-level staff to achieve fundraising success;
- Outstanding time management and organizational skills, with careful attention to detail. Demonstrated ability to manage multi-faceted projects, meet deadlines, and perform well independently with grace under pressure in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment;
- Sound judgment and ability to exercise discretion when dealing with confidential information regarding the Center’s business and sensitive donor information; high degree of self-motivation, personal discipline and integrity;
- Working knowledge of Raiser’s Edge (or similar database) and prospect research tools required;
- Bachelor’s degree required;
- Ability and willingness to work a flexible schedule when required.
Additional preferred skills and knowledge:
· Experience with Law Center issues (e.g., child care access, income security and public benefit programs, workplace justice, education), or other issues related to gender justice, racial justice, reproductive justice or LGBTQ+ equality.
- Collaborative style, combined with the ability and desire to work in a team-based environment;
The Manager of Foundation Relations will report directly to the Director of Foundation Engagement. The Manager will collaborate with the Vice President for Development and key program staff, as well as the President and CEO and Senior Vice President for External Affairs and colleagues in Development, Finance, and Communications. The Manager will oversee relevant projects delegated to the External Affairs Assistant and Development Interns.
Compensation & Benefits
A minimum salary of $69,685 will be provided to the successful candidate having at least 2 years of experience directly relevant to this role, consistent with the National Women’s Law Center’s compensation framework.
The Center offers a comprehensive benefits package, and four weeks of annual vacation. NWLC is located on Metro’s Red Line in Dupont Circle.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please forward a cover letter describing your qualifications, resume and list of references. via e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org and include the position title in the subject line. Electronic submissions are preferred. Hard copies may be addressed to: Human Resources Department, National Women’s Law Center, 11 Dupont Circle, NW, Suite 800, Washington, DC 20036. Applications accepted until position is filled.
The National Women’s Law Center is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and values a diverse workforce. We strongly encourage and seek applications from people with disabilities; people of all gender identities; people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals; veterans; and LGBTQI individuals.
As noted above, NWLC welcomes applications from individuals with disabilities. If you require reasonable accommodations during any part of the hiring process, please email us at email@example.com or you may send the request by mail to:
National Women’s Law Center
ATTN: Human Resources Manager – Talent
11 Dupont Circle NW, Suite 800
Washington, DC 20036