About Arabella Advisors
Arabella Advisors helps philanthropists and investors pursue their social and environmental goals more effectively. Our platform of services enables clients to use all of their assets—grants, investments, relationships, time, and talent—to achieve greater good.
We work with large foundations and corporations, as well as families and individuals, to develop strategic focus, execute projects, evaluate grantees and programs, invest for impact, efficiently manage grants and funds, and continually learn and innovate. Our team is socially minded and entrepreneurial, always looking for ways to make the world a better place by better serving our clients.
About Arabella’s Impact Investing Practice
Arabella works with funders of all kinds to help them better understand impact investing, develop strategies that complement their existing portfolios and program work, and source, structure, close, and monitor transactions. Our clients have varying degrees of experience with impact investing and employ different approaches—from grant funding to program-related investments (PRIs), mission-related investments (MRIs), and positive and negative screening of their personal portfolios. Our impact investing team works closely with clients to support them as needed, ensuring that we complement their own and their advisors’ existing knowledge and capacity. We expect applicants to have knowledge of impact investing.
Client Work (~60%)
Research & Analysis
- Review investment opportunities based on financial performance, evaluating relevant industry opportunities and evaluating business model strength
- Lead/support project teams throughout due diligence process with responsibility for completing and presenting analysis on historical financials, building financial models, analyzing potential debt and equity investment structures, and evaluating various performance outcome scenarios
- Conduct research and provide both qualitative and quantitative analysis resulting in independent recommendations for client projects and both internal and external meetings
- Conduct independent background research on thematic issue areas or asset classes
- Serve as project manager on client engagements, including managing project budgets, timelines, and content development
- Develop client reports, presentations, and memos
- Manage communication with clients, key partners, and other stakeholders
- Assist staff in preparation for external presentations and conferences
Business Development (~30%)
- Maintain internal impact investing resources and industry memberships
- Manage and deliver impact investing thought leadership and marketing content
- Lead the development of client proposals, coordinating with senior director, managing directors, and other key stakeholders
Other duties as assigned (~10%)
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in finance or a relevant field of study. Equivalent significant relevant experience in the field will be considered.
- Minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in the financial sector with strong financial modeling skills and comfort and familiarity with accounting and financial statements
- Relevant experience in the development, implementation, and evaluation of strategies to effect social change
- Familiarity with legal documentation common to debt/equity transactions
- Experience in social enterprise, nonprofit management, business, and/or consulting
- High degree of Excel proficiency – the ability to create and maintain spreadsheets with accuracy
- Aptitude for presenting financial information in understandable formats for multiple audiences both in writing and orally
- Experience building and implementing investment monitoring systems
- Strong interpersonal skills that allow the candidate to interact with confidence with colleagues, investment committees, and current and prospective investees.
- Outstanding client relationship development and management skills
- Strong organization and research skills and an understanding of how to gather diverse sets of information from written documents and interviews
- Excellent communication skills, including writing skills, and demonstrated ability to process large amounts of information and communicate findings clearly and succinctly
- Demonstrated commitment to social/economic development and strong work ethic
- Ability to support complex projects, manage up to others on the team, and meet deadlines
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
Valued and Non-Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- CFA or MBA preferred but not required
A Career with Arabella Advisors
We are committed to having a passion-driven, inclusive, fun, transparent, collaborative, and healthy culture. We invite you to visit our careers website to learn more about our people, culture, and work. However, we thought you should know that Arabella is committed to providing excellent benefits to our employees. For you and your eligible dependents, we pay 100% of premiums and in-network deductibles for health, vision, dental, and prescription insurance. We also provide you disability coverage; life insurance; personal and volunteer leave time; a 401K match that you are eligible to receive when you start; $1,500 a year for professional development; and a fitness benefit.
We are also committed to building a firm that is diverse and inclusive. We invite our clients and employees to be fully themselves. By integrating diversity, equity, and inclusion into our work, we benefit from increased knowledge, creativity, flexibility, and organizational and individual growth. We expect all Arabella staff to share this commitment.